Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Wheel Bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear
Default A6 Wheel Bearing replacement

I think I may have a wheel bearing going bad. I get a constant groaning noise coming from the right front althoug it doesn't vary much when I go around corners like you would expect from a bad wheel bearing. I'll inspect it tonight, but here is my question: Are there any tricks to setting the preload on the bearings? I know they are pressed in bearings and I have dealt with these before on a Mazda. The trick with the Mazda was to avoid the Mazda bearings and get Timken bearings so that the preload was set by the spacer from the factory. Does the Audi have a spacer to set the pre-load? Is there a preferred brand of wheel bearing that lasts longer than others? What would a stealership charge for this replacement? I have a press I bought just to do the Mazda bearings, but I am less inclined to work on cars in the middle of winter than I used to be!

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Old 02-21-2008, 04:50 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 Wheel Bearing replacement

I am also trying to replace my rear wheel bearing on the driver's side. I do not have an Audi dealership, where I live, so I took it to the local garage and they told me that they do not know how to disconnect the ABS connection.
Can anyone tell me how and where is it disconnected as they need to remove the assmebly before they could put the new bearings in.

Thanks