Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about to bleed brakes !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:44 AM
1st Gear
Default about to bleed brakes !!!

Just did a major brake service on my A6. Rebuild front 2 calipers, replace all 4 rotors, all new pads, all new brake flex lines and new master cylinder.... all put back together and about to start bleeding.
Anything special I need to know about the Audi ? pretty funky looking little cap in the reservoir, looks like a buble trap of some kind.

Just wanted to make sure there wasnt an caveats I need to be aware of ..

All the best ..

BTW putting ATE gold in the car ..

Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

Pressure bleeder is the best but it is expensive. I use mityvac. Some use good 'ol gravity method, but requires a lift.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

I was going to use the old .. "pump till your leg falls off your partner then get another one" method.. I m not even sure grivity method would work .. and it would take for ever..

I was going to work from the fartheest wheel from the cylinder .... the usual stuff, I abve never done a mster cylinder before though .. I hope I have enough fluid.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:41 PM
3rd Gear

$30 vacuum pump can save someone a leg and keep the friend a friend too.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM
2nd Gear

I've done the gravity method, works fine.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

Hx
i asked my buddy and he said he would rather have 30.00 in beer .. damn Canadians .. but i think your right a pressure bleeder may be the way to go given i have 5 cars and replace fluid every 2 years.

J.H.
how long did the fluid take to come through ? did you just pour it in and open up all 4 bleeders till it came out ?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

I also strongly recommend pressure bleeding. Motive Products makes a very good one for about $60, it will last a shade tree guy a lifetime of bleedings. This process forces the fluid through the system in the normal way and it is good for the ABS valves and works much better for me than vacuum. All you have to do is fill the bleeder, connect it to the master cylinder cap, pump up the bleeder to 15 psi and go around opening the valves one at a time, order doesn't matter. Keep the pressure up with a few pumpings during the job. When done, tilt the bleeder away from the pickup tube and bleed until the supply line is empty and disconnect it.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

Sounds reasonable .. I didn't understand your last line as I have not seen one .. so what's the deal with the little yellow twist off cap beside the main fill opening on the reservoir. ? does that stay on and sealed during bleeding?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 AM
1st Gear

The bleeder is like a pump up lawn sprayer, it has a pickup tube inside that goes to the bottom of the container. To clear the bleeder line so that you don't make a mess when you disconnect from the master cylinder, you need to keep bleeding with the pickup not in the fluid so the supply line clears itself, it's clear tubing so you can see what's happening. As far as the little yellow plug, I assume its for a factory attachment of some kind for pressure bleeding but not sure, someone probably knows, I'm new here.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

cool ...lost the big *** 7" bolt that holds my master cylider on so everythiong is on hold for a while .. how i lose a 7" bolt i have NOOO idea..

Quick Reply: about to bleed brakes !!!