Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About To DO My First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Default About To DO My First Oil Change

ok im about to do my first oil change and change the plugs, any advice you guys might want to share with a newbe to audi.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:43 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: About To DO My First Oil Change

Well, besides the usual stuff about being safe and watching your jack points....

The only bit of advice I can give you is that if you're just jacking up the car (don't have a lift), jack it from the passenger side, as the drain plug is on the drivers side of the oil pan. Oh yeah, one other thing: make sure you get all of the screws off of the belly pan before you start pulling on it. There are often ones in the wheel wells (though they're often missing).

Other than that, they're really easy cars to change the oil on.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: RedShoeRider

Well, besides the usual stuff about being safe and watching your jack points....

The only bit of advice I can give you is that if you're just jacking up the car (don't have a lift), jack it from the passenger side, as the drain plug is on the drivers side of the oil pan. Oh yeah, one other thing: make sure you get all of the screws off of the belly pan before you start pulling on it. There are often ones in the wheel wells (though they're often missing).

Other than that, they're really easy cars to change the oil on.
YES!!! BE CAREFUL with the Belly Pan! Took it to a quick lube place by my house and they ripped off my pan and had to go to Audi Dealer to get new holes and ****. So i do all my oil changes now on my own The pan although a pain is critical to engine performance there was a thread popping around about it in the A6 section. Good Luck Bro!

Old 12-25-2007, 12:59 AM
3rd Gear

That pan doesnt do anything for engine performance. Its a sound absorber.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

Yes but it does prevent rocks and other debris from being sucked into your engine. Ive also read somewhere that it keeps the engine cooler because it channels air throw the engine better so it wont over heat.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:01 AM
3rd Gear

Get some black tye wraps just in case (for when) you mess up a few of the fasteners.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:47 PM

thanks every one, i did the plugs and oil change no problem took almost four hours only cause i wanted to inspect things as i went through it. i did find some type of sensor unclipped, the funny thing is that it made a really loud click when i put the connecter back in it, it almost makes me think that the audi dealer out of forgot or on purpose forgot about it when i got my cats and o2 sensors done. i dont know but my check engine light went off for good now.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 AM
1st Gear

Well thats good i guess hahaha

Old 12-27-2007, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

What oil and filter did you use?
I did my oil change this past weekend with Full synthethic Castrol 5w50 and Fram filter... (Audi dealer was closed and the car needed the change so i had to use shitty filter...)
I bought the plugs (not received yet).. but I didnt know which ones are better.. the NGK Platinum or the Denso Iridium (got the NGK since I got respect for NGK haha its the stock anyways..)
The best oil filter should be Mann right?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

Not to start the great oil debate again, but if you're curious as to what oils Audi approves of:

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/....0004.File.pdf

Most are not commonly available here in the USA, but you can find Mobil 1 and Amsoil pretty easily, Agip if you go looking for it. Castrol and Pennzoil are on the list, but the specific blends that they have listed aren't available at my local stores.

Fram used to make a really good filter, but I've read a lot of not-so-hot things about them lately. Sure, they work, but it might be well worth the extra money to get a Pureolater (sp?), Mobil 1, or the Mann.

Quick Reply: About To DO My First Oil Change