Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and ESP lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear
Default ABS and ESP lights

These both came on so far twice since I had the car, and went off twice, i haven’t seen it in weeks, took it to the dealer. The dealer stated he doesn't want to invent anything if it doesn't come back with anything. They ran VAGCOM, they found nothing. What does it mean when they both come on and then go off? I start to think something is failing and i have 45000 on the car and want to get it in before the warranty runs out to repair the possible future problem..

Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: ABS and ESP lights

Did they come on momentarily in slippery conditions and then go off? That's normal when the ABS is working - mine does it when I corner fast in snow and slide a little.

If they came on and stayed on, you have a problem brewing. However, I would not worry about it until the indicator stays on for good. Then you should get the bad news from your dealer. By the way, the ABS unit is re-buildable at a much lower cost than new.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

I think first time was in slippery conditions (some snow and sleet) but the second time It just came on when I was at a stop light. I remember the first time we just turned the car off when we saw this and turned it back on and it was gone. Not sure what to think but I hope it doesn't become anything serious, thanks!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

Check your brake lights and see if they're lighting up. Mine was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a bad brake light switch. That's why the warning lights are coming on when you stop. It might be a cheap fix. The switch is $30 or $40 from the dealer.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

A new brake light switch solved my problem.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

AHH i see, i haven't checked my brake lights, the switch could be going bad or failing, thanks!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

I had the same issue when I first got my car in Aug of 06 (car is an 03). The switch was the issue.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

If the brake switch replacement doesn't work I think your ABS module is beginning to fail. It sounds just like mine when it started to fail on my wife's98 A6 Quattro 2.8. It was intermittent at first but progressively became worse. At this point you can monitor it and note if it fails (lights on) for longer periods and more often. If that's the case I'd get it to the dealer before your warranty runs out. It's not an inexpensive fix if the dealer does it out of warranty. I fixed mine (out of warranty) by removing it myself and sending it to www.modulemaster.com where it was repaired for $200. A local shop quoted me $1400 for a new module installed.It works fine now and my total cost was $257.50 (repair and postage) and a few hours of my time removing and installing the part. There are verygood instructions on the Module Master website.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

If your module is going bad and if it's the newer Bosch version, it'll take $300 +shippingfor Module Masters to fix it.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Great! thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: ABS and ESP lights