Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding An Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Adding An Alarm

I've done my searches but short of reading every post that had "alarm" in it, I didn't see any that addressed my question.

I am looking at getting the Viper 5900SST. It has all the goodies. Remote start, 1 mile range, etc. My questions are these:

1 - What activates our alarm? Whether we use our key, or use the remote, the OEM alarm gets activated.

SO:

2 - With an aftermarket alarm, once the doors are locked/unlocked will that activate/deactivate the OEM alarm also?

Just thinking how cool it would be to have two alarms.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:23 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Adding An Alarm

You need to find the factory arm / disarm trigger wires, as well as getting a wiring diagram for your car. Try www.the12volt.com.
I suggest to have this done professionally if you have no alarm experience. With over 7 yrs install experience I can tell you that Audi's are a real pain in the *** to add alarms to. You will also have to find out if you need any aftermarket modules to get your door locks, window and other functions to work properly. Also, you will need some sort of a passlock module inorder to have remote start. I would also suggest getting a clifford or autopage alarm and getting rid of the viper, not so great in my experiences with them.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

I was definitely going to get it done professionally. I installed an alarm back in 1989. Even then I swore never to do that again..lol.

I'm finding out that everything with the Audi is a PITA. But i gotta love it since I just bought it and have payments to complete....lol.

I had the Viper 791XV on my Blazer and I loved everything about it. The only modules I had to get was for the windows to roll up and down, and for the remote start which I know I'll need to get for the Audi. They tapped into the wiring for the door locks so that shouldn't be too hard to repeat.

Funny you should mention that you like Clifford. It's the same alarm as Viper. They're both manufactured by DEI Electronics. Just different packaging. Like most of our television sets. There are only like 3 or 4 companies that actually make the televisions, but they all just packaged differently. Anywho...I like the Viper. Thanks for the input though. I'll be sure to mention to the installer to look for the factory arm/disarm triggers.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Yes they are both made by DEI, but I know for a fact that Cliford uses higher end components then viper. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Houndz408 - Not questioning your knowledge. This is more of a fact finding question.How do you know for a fact? I've never used Clifford so I don't know anything about them. I've only used the Viper and never had a problem with it.