Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice/Suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Advice/Suggestions needed

I have a 2005 A6 3.2 with about 102K miles on it. I was told yesterday by a very reputable mechanic here in Brentwood TN that the tranny was shot and that I should get rid of it. I love this car and everything else, except the sensors on the left rear light pack work great. I've done some research and figure a new/rebuilt tranny is about 5 to 6K to get done completely. What is the opinion of this group? Trade it or fix it? If fix it, does anyone that lives in or around Nashville TN have any suggestions on who to get to do this type of work.

One more wrinkle - I've thought about parting it out if I don't fix it. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear

I think more information is necessary before anyone of us can really give you an opinion on this.

What specifically is wrong with the transmission? Torque converter issues? Significant slipping issues?

Also, only 102k miles... what else has been done to the car recently? Do you still have to replace the timing belt, water pump, tensioners, etc?

Depending on how severe the transmission issue is, along with how current your service is on your car, it maybe worth keeping and repairing.

Also, how hands on are you? Are you able to do transmission work yourself?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

The transmission is throwing fault codes (didn't see them, he just told me about them) and puts the car into limp mode on a regular basis. It shifts hard in first to second and then downshifting 3 to 2 to 1. We've owned the car for about 2 years and all maintenance had been done, but I don't know if the timing belt and that were replaced. I can tell you that I am not (knock on wood) having any issues other than the light pack in the rear and the tranny. I believe I can change the transmission if I can find one from a reputable company etc.