Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ahh! Help Installing Radar W/ Pic

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Ahh! Help Installing Radar

I have a whistler pro 78. I too was gonna get a V1 but there way to damn expensive. It came with a hardwiring kit but I don't know anything about electrical wires and stuff. Do I have to strip the wires or..? Yes, i too am embarrassed by my lack of knowledge. Here are the wires that came with the radar:

Do i use this to hook it up to a wire in the sunroof or dome light? Do i have to buy new wire and/or strip the current wire I have? Im clueless...

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

Mine has a phone-cord style power cord so I just plugged in the DC adapter that the detector came with and tested the 4 wires on the connector to see which ones were 12V and which ones were ground. It turned out that only 2/4 wires are actually used (the inner-2 wires).Any phone wireshould work (assuming yours is like that too).
So I cut a spare phone cord that I had and spliced the appropriate wire into the 12V feed from the dome light switch and then I spliced the other wire and put it underneath one of the gold screws up therefor theground. I'm guessing the 'U' shaped connector is on the detector's ground wire? If so, that will work nicely for just sliding that under a screw/bolt up there. You're probably going to have to cut into a 12V wire like I did. You'll have to carefully cut away the black tape that's wrapped around the wires. It might be easier for you to cut off that rectangular connector and strip andsplice the end of the wire into a 12V line.
-Jon

Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

Thanks! Which wire is it in the picture? Here i drew arrows on the picture of the sunroof device:

Is it the first arrow? or the second? And do i cut into the red wire and attach the black one to it and then wrap it with electrical tape?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:22 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Aiml3ss

Thanks? I was hoping it would make it easier for people helping me... We shall see!
Your original post did not include the picture... but I see that you fixed it.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Oh oops my bad. On my computer it showed up... Weird!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

No one can answer my question? Im super duper close at getting this bad boy installed. I just need to know which wire in the above picture do i splice into.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, I didn't remember which wires I tied in to and I didn't have time to look until now....

I used the2nd wire in from the left (the red one)in the harness right next to your left index finger in the picture.Then I grounded it to the gold screw right above that harness. It's very helpfulto use a voltage meter to determine which wires are 12V but since you can't find yours you can trust me .

Make sure you don't cut that wire too close to the connector in case you need to re-cut for whatever reason, plus it'll be easier to work with if you have some slack.

-Jon

Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Jon!

I will let you know if all goes good when I try to install it tomorrow!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

It worked!

Thanks so much Jon and everyone else who tried to help me. I tapped into the wire you told me to and it frickin worked!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

try this : https://www.audiforums.com/m_620837/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Ahh! Help Installing Radar W/ Pic