Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag module needs replacing advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Default Airbag module needs replacing advice?

My airbag light in my 2001 audi A6 came on during a recent cold snap(below zero). The light has been on since then.

I took it to my import auto repair shop that has done work on my car previously. They hooked up the vag com and the code said:
Component:airbag front=Kopf
1 fault code found:
65535-internal control module memory error
00-01 intermittent.

They tried 4 times to erase the codes and they came right back because they are "hard coded".

I called the dealer. $800 for the part. $350 for labor. Ouch. I even contemplated calling my insurance on this one but decided it wasn't worth it in hikes in my insurance(yes bad me for even thinking it!)

I can get a module used and they guarantee the part and will refund the entire cost to me if the part fails. My audi dealer WILL put the part in but they won't guarantee the work, but they only guarantee it for a year anyways.

So the question is. Do I save myself $600 on the chance that
A. the part works
B. The part works and continues to work for a year.
C. THe part works even though it is used but could be bad later.

Would buying a new part have any better chance at a perfectly good used part?

sorry to get so wordy!

Any help ASAP would be a God send!

-nibbles

Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Airbag module needs replacing advice?

I'm guessing you are getting the used controller for $200.00 plus $350.00 to put it in. If that is the case then go used. If the used controller goes bad in a year or two you can get another one installed and still have saved $50.00 dollars over going with the new one. I think it is unlikely the used part will fail. I am new to Audi myself, but airbag controllers don't seem to fail that often in cars. Not like the ABS modules do.

Best of luck.

Jeff