Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Removal help needed ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Alternator Removal help needed ASAP!

UPDATE!
Went to take out the alt today...TWO PROBLEMS!
There are two damn metal pipes running infront of it...making it just that much hard to get out...what can be done with these pipes...

2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro

So I fixed my steering rack problems and now have a new wonderful problem…Was driving home last night and check battery light came on, noticed voltage was LOW 9-10 volts. Made it home, turned off car…wouldn’t start. Tried starting it in the morning…took a bit of turn over it did start, drove it around batter came back to 13-14 volts on the dash volt meter.

Took the car out to get some part to fix my fiancé car, got there fine, no problems. Coming home I noticed the volts dropping fast, 12…11…10… Dropped fastest when I was breaking. This was about a 10 minute trip.

Took the battery out, brought it to Advance, they load tested it…came back fine. Fully charged, put back in my car, Alt starts right up to 14V no problems! Slowing falling since, but staying about 12 on start…

1. Alternator problem? Is this even possible since, it jumps up to 14 volts on starts, I thought for sure if it was an alternator, it wouldn’t make it this far. Or can they slowly die?
2. Bad Battery, even though it can hold a full charge, maybe the warm weather and it the battery being 4 years just a deadly combination.
3. Short….God I hope not.
4. Slipping Belt?

Any input on my thoughts….If it is the alternator going…might just be time for me to trade up, while it quasi works.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Bad Alternator or Battery? Or other Problem

Deff not a short there would be other signs then just your ampmeter fluxuating.
Slipping belt possible. Chechk to see if it's taunt. Also, this might be not be relavent but check the belt tensioner, listen to see if you can hear any abnormal sounds. The bearings could be going causing the tensioner to seize/skip and the belt to slip.

From my understanding, only cold temperatures will affect battery output.

A 4 year old battery? I wouldreplace it regardless for peace of mind sake.

Not sure if this safe for an Audi's electrical system but back in the day the best way to really test an alternator is start the car and disconnect the battery and see if it stills runs. If so, the alt. is sufficient. Like I said, not sure if this method is safe with Audi's advanced electrical system.

Good Luck
E

Old 06-01-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

I've read that you can do this a few other times....anyone think this is safe with audi?

ORIGINAL: Coors

Not sure if this safe for an Audi's electrical system but back in the day the best way to really test an alternator is start the car and disconnect the battery and see if it stills runs. If so, the alt. is sufficient. Like I said, not sure if this method is safe with Audi's advanced electrical system.

Good Luck
E

Old 06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Gear

I had a battery leak once. Sulfuric acid is not something you want drippin in your car. I would put a new battery in for sits and grins if it's 4 years old. I think it's your problem anyway. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

By the way, what was causing the sound? What did you do with the steering rack?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

Problem was "solved" by dumb luck. I just took off the front tires and played around...made sure nothing was loose....put the tire back on, no problems...I think my breaks were loose.

Battery was tested...they said it was fine...Holds charge no problem.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like the alternator. The diodes can overheat and fail. When they cool down, they work for a short period of time, until they overheat, again.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Need some help ASAP!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

Got the bad boy out... 9.9/10 PITA!!!! SERVICE MODE IS NOT ENOUGH! Ended up buying loger bolts

Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

Getting the new one in was even harder. Ended up under the car for an hour with ablock of wood hammering her in.

Quick Reply: Alternator Removal help needed ASAP!