Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any 2.7T headers with Garrett T25 flanges?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 01:59 PM
1st Gear
Default any 2.7T headers with Garrett T25 flanges?

are there any headers available for the 2.7T engine that have a standard Garrett T25 flange? i've done some searching but can't seem to find the info i'm looking for.

i am not sure that i would want to upgrade to K04s when the time comes. now, i'm sure i could make more than enough power with the K04s but i am not sure they are all that much more reliable than the K03s (?) i would really like to go with small Garrett DBB turbos with a T25 flange - possibly two GT25R turbos? according to ATPturbo.com the little GT25R can support 240hp. so i would think two of them would be more than enough to say the least. the other issue would be making the downpipe of course. the GT25R has an internal wastegate and a 5-bolt discharge flange so i would probably go with this ATP V-band adapter. the only problem is that it's 3" which is obviously overkill and may cause fitment issues. i'm not sure if ATP makes a smaller 5-bolt V-band adapter or not. as far as oil & coolant lines i would simply make my own.

i am not looking to make crazy HP; i just want very reliable turbos that are not going to give me trouble later on down the road and obviously, something a little bigger than the stock K03s. a little more lag wouldn't bother me at all.

TIA

Old 12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Site Moderator

K04's are more than enough for the 2.7T, unless you plan on going 700+ horse power. There are manifolds made for the S4 2.7T i believe, i would check out AWE tuning, and 034 motorsport. If they don't have them they know where to get em.

K04's are cabable of putting out 500BHP all day long without any problems. My recommendation for the 2.7T are K04's. If you had a 1.8T A4 then the K04 sucks.

Last edited by auditech79; 12-15-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Site Moderator

P.S when you call AWE or 034 motorsport tell them you would be looking for manifolds, headers are what goes on big V8 engines or rice rocket hondas, just long pipes that collect into one pipe. You need turbo manifolds. The k04's just need a hardware kit that comes with a couple of pipes.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

what K04s can "support" is not the issue...

Originally Posted by twinturbosedan
i am not sure that i would want to upgrade to K04s when the time comes. now, i'm sure i could make more than enough power with the K04s but i am not sure they are all that much more reliable than the K03s (?)

Old 12-15-2008, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
P.S when you call AWE or 034 motorsport tell them you would be looking for manifolds, headers are what goes on big V8 engines or rice rocket hondas, just long pipes that collect into one pipe. You need turbo manifolds. The k04's just need a hardware kit that comes with a couple of pipes.
are you sayingsomething like these are "manifolds"? i haven't really looked into any other 2.7T manifolds or headers. on a side note, does anyone have any experience with these OBX headers? mostly interested in quality and fitment. fwiw, my brother has an OBX LSD (basically a Quiafe knockoff) in his Spirit R/T and it seems great so far.

to me, manifolds are cast iron factory style pieces, whereas headers are exactly what you described (and the OBX link above) though it doesn't really matter what kind of engine they are on. but i mean, i don't want to split hairs here

so i take it there are no Garrett T25 style manifolds/headers available for the 2.7T engine?

well i got to get to work, later!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Site Moderator

Don't buy manifolds off ebay, they crack and break, especially the chrome plated ones. I would post in the S4 section, those guys know everything there is to know about the stuff.

The difference between a header and manifold when it comes to turbos is this, headers (have no turbos) manifolds do. It may look like a header but its not. It just makes it easier for parts people and forum members to understand.

As for the K04, its much more reliable than the k03, not bullet proof but close.
Im not sure whether there is a T25 flange for the 2.7T that you can just buy, i know people have made custom ones but a T25 flange is overkill in my opinion. Any turbo you are going to attach to that flange is only for poeple that want to exceed 600 horsepower on the 2.7T engine. Then you run into transmission problems, axles blah blah.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

cool, thanks for the reply.

looks like i am going to stick with the K04s then

i'm not even sure what my goals are in terms of AWHP or the track. the nearest track or dyno is Denver and that is 350 miles away. i mostly want the car to be fun on the street (not to be confused with street racing of course). i want to say i'd be happy with an eventual 350, and/or low 13 second ET at a fairly low elevation track. my times would likely suck in Denver due to the elevation. even here where i live it's 4500ft.

later,

Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Site Moderator

To get to the 350 range is cake. You would just need a set of K04's, hardware, a new set of injectors and tuning to run it. Going above 400 starts to require upgraded intake parts, fuel pump, MAF sensor if the tune calls for it.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:06 AM
1st Gear

wow. i think i seem to have been underestimating just the chip alone. it's hard to believe what APR or GIAC etc. claim but the A6/S4 owners are backing it up!

i would love for this A6 to beat my Spirit R/T. it would probably just edge out my stock Regal GS though. from a roll of course. from a dig the (stock) Audi would obviously destroy both of them

i am going to be saving my $ for the K04s and probably a new clutch. i am pretty sure the clutch and turbos are original so i'm not going to assume they will last that much longer even though it all seems great right now. i'm not sure on clutch yet; that's for a different thread. i have all kinds of questions but i need to start searching first.

one more question though - what is the stock boost level on my A6 2.7T? if i were to guess i'd say ~8psi but i have no idea. stock boost level with K04s and RS4 intercoolers should be quite a bit better! with a chip + VAST downpipes and cat-back, well let's just say i'm SURE i'd be VERY happy

thanks again for the help!

Last edited by twinturbosedan; 12-16-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Site Moderator

9psi is stock boost pressure, a chip will bring it up to around 17psi. If you just chipped your A6 with the stock k03's you would be surprised trust me. K04's with downpipes, tuning, and a full exhaust will fvcking scare you.

Quick Reply: any 2.7T headers with Garrett T25 flanges?