Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suppliers for smoked rear lights?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Any suppliers for smoked rear lights?

I just got my first Audi, a 1999 a6 avant 2.8 Quattro, and i love it!! Except for the bright red rear lights. I have been trying to find some smoked replacements on the internet but have only been able to find them for the saloon version. Can any of you point me in the sirection of a reliable supplier of quality parts that carries smoked rear lights for the avant please?
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Any suppliers for smoked rear lights?

Im gonna have to try and sway you away from this decision. Its not legal i think in every state, you will get a ticket, and if someone smashes into the rear end of your car the police will put the blame on you by the way.
If you really want to use window tint over the tails, it looks just as good and if you get pulled over all you have to do is pull off the tint to fix it.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 AM
1st Gear

I am in England, not sure about the legality here but i see a lot of cars that have it done so i cant see it being a problem. I will have a look and see if i can get any film, thats a good idea. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:01 AM
1st Gear

Bingobadgo, I hope you weren't in Iraq lately. You didn't get us into trouble with the badgers in Bursa did you?Only kidding

Anyway, I'd go to my local MOT place and ask them first if it is legal to get the smoked tail lights. In fact, go to three different ones just to be sure.

If no one knows, contact the DVLA. They should be able to answer you or point you towards where you could get the answer. I know that window tinting, very faint is allowed. They have very precise measures on what is, and is not allowed.

Another option as Auditech79 mentioned is window tint. I actually found a different thing to use. I don't remember the name of the film, but it was made in Oxford. It was like a thin sheet of light black plastic, but thicker than window tint. It was more stretchable than window tint, and seemed to stick better around groves. A heat gun was used to fix it. Had this done on a previous vehicle and now I'm wanting to do it on my avant, but can't find the thing anywhere.

Well, all the best whatever you end up doing.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help so far. I am tempted to do the film thing but i am a bit of a perfectionist and i know if i do it i wont be happy with it, so getting a full smoked unit would be my first choice i think. I saw on the internet that hella make a smoked tail light unit but i cant find it on their site, or find a uk supplier. Back to google i guess.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

I would persuade you away from the film tint. If you want them tinted but don't want to pay for the lights, I would say spray tint them with VHT Spray tint. I few coats and it looks great. I would say do this instead of the film.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:16 AM

http://www.autodirectsave.com/produc...ED_Tail_Lights

There not smoked, but you might like them.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:16 AM

http://www.lltek.com/A6_4B_C5_Tailli...nd_options.htm

Old 07-26-2007, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

I saw some old lady driving w/ smoked tail lights on her a6.
She was a milf.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the links guys, i emailed iltek asking about whether they are available for an A6 Avant, they only seem to be the saloon version.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any suppliers for smoked rear lights?