Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever trade in at the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default Anybody ever trade in at the dealer?

So I am thinking about upgrading to a newer A6 or maybe an allroad. I have a 97 Avant right now. I would just sell my car but it has 178000 miles and a little dent (4in x 4 in popped in) in the front fender that I refuse to pay 3000 dollars (lowest estimate) to repair. So I am thinking of dealer trade in.

Anyone ever had a good experience? I have had the crap beat out of me by dealers in the past. I think my A6 would never sell in its condition though. Atleast with a dealer I could probably get 3-4k on trade in (KBB). They are all highway miles.

What do you guys think? Should I just hold on to the A6 til it dies? And then upgrade?

Old 02-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Default RE: Anybody ever trade in at the dealer?

dealers are a pain they will trash your thoughts on what you think its worth and leave you thinking "do they want you to pay them to take it off your hands" private sale is best to sell your car, cash in hand stumps dealers because you are in control and want cash off their sale

Old 02-04-2006, 06:36 PM
2nd Gear

i would hve to agree, private sale is your best bet for max price.
try listing on cars.com , autotrader, ebay etc. when i was looking for my a6 avant i checked every day.
drove 250 miles each way to get it.

dealer will totally low ball you. then sell it on their lot for waht you could sell it for yourself.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:43 PM
3rd Gear

A car with that many miles wont even go on the lot. It will go straight to auction, which means they wont get much for it and in turn wont give you much for it. I would tell them you have a trade in when your looking for a new car. That way they will lower the price on the car. Get a price on the car first then tell them youll talk about a price on the trade in. If they dont give you a good price in your mind sell the car yourself.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:03 AM

I will never do trade in.

I went with my A6 to carmax to see how much they will offer since my friend from nissan dealershipp told me that they pay most for trade in's. ( i now they are most expensive dealer in the us - selling ford focus for 16K...)

So they offered me

....4700$.....yeah for 98 A6 v6 sport package 113K... i get so angry thati told the guy i will never go to this place again.

Sell your car and put cash down.You can also try < craiglist > The best time to buy cars is in the end of the month ( commisions ) so you will have big chance to get a good deal.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:07 PM
2nd Gear

So I definitely think cash in hand is a good idea, that is how I have bought all my cars, but I just don't know if this one will sell. The dent makes it undesirable. A BMW dealer told me 1500 for it, but they were total jerks anyway. Really I just wanted to drive the BMW 528. Fun car just not worth the money.

I know a lot of the dealer tricks, but I wonder if I could work out a reasonable deal on my a6. Most people don't do classified ads these days and the last car I tried to sell myself, took 6 months and I had to sell it for about half of what it was worth. It is just a pain in the butt to try to sell a car.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:29 PM

there is one way to try, find a car that you want "private seller" and offer your car as a part exchange deal with cash this way you have the chance to sell your car at the price you want and get the car you want, worth a try

Old 02-05-2006, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

It can't hurt to try and trade in. My '91 Infiniti Q45 has 145,000 miles, has a dent on the front passenger door and quarter panel (exploding tire), has electrical problems up the ***, and the interior is less than perfect. I would feel bad selling this car for $1500 to a private party. Shopping around for my new car a used car dealership offered $2500, a new Chevy dealer (I went there looking at cheap 05 Trailblazers, 19k for them) and they were pushing an 06 Monte Carlo SS and were offering $5k trade in. So I guess I am saying it can't hurt to shop it. Tell them what you lowest price is (bump it up a few hundred or grand) and that if they can't do that you are walking.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

trade -in its a total Rip Off!!! Dont do it. i'm sure you can get more for it....put it on Graigslist and see for yourself. Its free and wont hurt....just be patient and you'll sell it. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:17 PM
3rd Gear

Private sale is always best but I have always just traded mine in at the dealers. I never accept less than $2000 above KBB minimum and it is fun to beat them up. I have never been beat up by any dealer but i have been thrown out of many for beating them up too badly apparently. Its all fun and games.