Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody more than 195, 000 miles on K03's????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 PM
1st Gear
Question anybody more than 195, 000 miles on K03's????

If anyone else has more than 195,000 on stock K03's please let me know.
I'd say 50 percent of these miles are highway, at best. I have a 2001 A6 2.7t My car has the stage 1+ unitronic chip, tiptroninc trans cip, and a cool air intake. This car still blows my mind. I was going to get K04's a while back, but I changed my mind. At this point, I may as well push these bitches to the limit and add some more mods.. A couple of weeks ago, I thought I was going to get my *** handed to me by an STI(a 2005). He pulled away from me 2 times as we were dead even, from about 50mph or so. Then after about 10 min of following him, I found an opening in the left lane and I got up to about 95mph or so, and after he braked to pass a car, I was able to gain about 2 car lenghts on him. he got in the middle lane (on a 3 lane hwy, Rt 84 in ne PA) and I was in the left lane. we both opened it up. I was expecting him to catch me but by the time I hit 120, he was about 3 cars behind me and by 145mph, about 4 or 5 cars behind me. I got off my exit, and about 10 minutes later, he pulls in at the same gas station as me. He said he was stock except for his exhaust. He asked me what I had done to my car and he looked like he was going to cry when I told him besides the intake, just a chip. I'd like to see what would have happened if we had that same race off the line. I was shocked that I took him. Even though I probably got 90 or so lbs of tourque on him, I thought the extra weight would be my downfall. I still gotta give mad respect for what Subaru has done for the price(even though the ride quality blows compared to audi). Anyway, I always hear about people blowing there turbos. I open it up occasionally, I dont punch it much at all from a stop, I always let them warm up in the morning, and cool down at the end of the day. I change my oil every 3 to 4 grand and change my plugs every 60 grand or so...I guess its how you take care of the car nd I'm sure theres always the luck factor..

Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 PM
3rd Gear

Close at 175k. Chipped at 75k. I probably have driven 95% highway -- lots of 70-85 mph miles. Very few jack rabbit starts -- the A6 is too heavy and not much off the line. But merging into traffic or passing some a-hole who won't keep right, I floor it and fly from 60-70 up to 95+ too often (per my wife).

I have noticed some latency when accelerating hard lately. It could be I am too used to the chip (it was breath-taking at first), or I have some vacuum leaks, or the turbos are starting to fail. Anyway, my plan is to replace the TB around 180+ and do all the vacuum lines at the same time. If that doesn't help, then maybe K04s in the future when it is clear the oems are failing.

BTW, she is still running oem battery and suspension and my mechanic (who checks the car regularly) says all is fine. I may have a cat problem based on a recent CEL, but who needs emissions? When did you do the second TB?

Last edited by ppgoal; 08-20-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

actually, I spoke to several people who work at Audi service and the 2.7t Tb only needs to be changed(w/ tensioners and water pump) every 110,00 or so. I replaced my first one at 112,000 and I'm getting ready to change the next one in January at tax return time, and then I'm getting a new exhaust system. The 2.8 and 3.0 A6's need to get the tb changed at lesser intervals. From what I heard, not many people have had the TB break at lees than 125 grand...

oh by the way, about a month ago, It felt like my trans was shifting funny. I popped the hood and I heard a whistle....Theres a little valve, not sure what irts called, but it was 30 bucks, and is located toward the back of bank 2, with 3 soft hoses connected to it on the left side, and a skinny plastic hose that runs off the right side of it..I also noticed a slight loss of power over the previous month or so before finding it..

Last edited by marcb0127t; 08-20-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:29 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not sure I agree with the 110k+ TB interval. The manual, which is conservative, calls for 105k and most posters recommend 75k. I did the first TB at 95k and plan to do it again ~185k, which should be in the spring. Whether the TB breaks (or slips) at 125k or less, the net is a catastrophic problem with pistons and valves colliding. So...a grand for a TB change or a new motor.

I've talked to my indie about new exhausts and he recommended a complete stainless steel system from ECS. It's about $2500 but fits perfectly and installation is painless. He has installed cheaper kits and told me it took hours extra to install because of fitment problems. I'm going to shop a little more and also keep on eye on ECS for one of their sales.