Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone like the 4.2L v8????

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Default anyone like the 4.2L v8????

I'm looking at getting a 2000-2003 A6 4.2LRelatively new to Audi's but I do love European cars. I just started selling cars at Maplewood Audi and definatley will be getting into one, however i dont know if the 4.3L is a good motor or if there are a lot of issues with this model. I used to be a Volvo fanatic and just 4 months ago purchased a 850R. I have always wanted this peticular car and now that I have it I want to upgrade to something newer and better. Being that I will be working for Maplewood Audi, I hope to get a good deal on a used 4.2L. If anyone has any facts for me to assist in my engine selection I'd appreciate it. Also love the wide body on the 4.2L. Thats probably what draws me to the 4.2L the most. I have a friend that just sold his RS6 a little over a year ago to get a Ferrari. He has always owned Audi so I think that with his experiences with them Its a safe bet on the 4.2L

Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Default RE: anyone like the 4.2L v8????

The 4.2 is a great motor. I've heard from several that it's one of their most reliable. There's not much in the area of performance mods but it puts out a lot of "stock" power. It's not as "fun" to drive as the 2.7T IMHO but like you said, theres something about the wide body that draws you to it. Try to get the sport package. It looks a little better (larger wheels, sits lower, etc..). I bought mine new and I've never had a problem (knock on wood) but I'm pretty good about maintaining it. The 2.7 has "issues" but I bought it used just this year. Nothing major but most of it is due to lack of maintenance. Welcome and good luck.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

4.2 is a good motor if you take care of it. The wider body definatly sets it apart. I agree with dennie, try and find one with the sport package. really nice cars with plenty of power!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

I too am thinking about an A6 4.2, having just totaled my A6 2.8. I know where there is a 2000 with the sport pkg. but am very leary of the miles, 211K . I suppose if I could get it chaep enough I could afford to put some $ into it, but I don't know, those kind of miles scare me. Have not seen the car yet, there asking $7000.00 service records to 140K BENG

Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 AM
3rd Gear

I drove Volvo 850's for years and loved them. I always wanted to get a R but just never got ride of my 93. Great car, traded it in with 313k miles on it for my 2000 A6 2.8l. Although I loved my 850 and would have loved a 850 R even more, I don't regret buying my A6 at all. The 2.8l A6 has more pickup then my 850 5cylinder so I could only imagine what the 2.7 or the 4.2 would feel like.

Hey since you are local to me (assuming you work for Maplewood Audi in MN) do I get a discount on parts?

Old 12-11-2007, 02:56 AM
1st Gear

guys guys. there are a lot of performance parts for our 4.2l you just need to know where to look.

so to convince youmstager

click on the link in my sig.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mstager

I'm looking at getting a 2000-2003 A6 4.2LRelatively new to Audi's but I do love European cars. I just started selling cars at Maplewood Audi and definatley will be getting into one, however i dont know if the 4.3L is a good motor or if there are a lot of issues with this model. I used to be a Volvo fanatic and just 4 months ago purchased a 850R. I have always wanted this peticular car and now that I have it I want to upgrade to something newer and better. Being that I will be working for Maplewood Audi, I hope to get a good deal on a used 4.2L. If anyone has any facts for me to assist in my engine selection I'd appreciate it. Also love the wide body on the 4.2L. Thats probably what draws me to the 4.2L the most. I have a friend that just sold his RS6 a little over a year ago to get a Ferrari. He has always owned Audi so I think that with his experiences with them Its a safe bet on the 4.2L

I always wanted a Yellow 850R....If you have a 850R, why not geta S60R\V70R?there're newer and better then the 850R. The V70R will be my next car, there not as big as the 4.2 A6, but there're way faster and a little less to keep up.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Baskin 4.2l

guys guys. there are a lot of performance parts for our 4.2l you just need to know where to look.

so to convince youmstager

click on the link in my sig.
I'll check out this link. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear

I test drove a V70 while shopping for my next car last year. At the time I was still driving the 850 and was very dissapointed with the build quality of the v70. My 93 850 with 313k miles on it all the door panels were in perfect shape, still holding up very well. All the door handles worked, windows never game me any problems, people were always shocked that the car had 313k on it since it was in excellent condition (the inside that is). When I test drove the 2001 v70, the interior was made of really cheap plasitc, when you pulled the door shut the panel pulled away from the door. When you opened and shut the windows the panels moved in and out. Buttons on the climate control were worn, the headliner was falling, you push the sunroof button and the plastic surround moved with it. I looked at 3 S70's and 1 V70 and 1 S80 and they all had the same build quality. Ford build quality, not surprising since Ford owns them. I had a hard time seeing myself downgrade in quality and feel while gaining a car payment. Dissapointed, my partner kept telling me to drive the 00 A6 wagon in the corner of the lot (like the lemon I though Audis were having never heard a good thing about them). I get in and immediately feel like I just stepped into a quality car. Everything is firm, crisp and the attention to detail is amazing. I The dealer hands me the keys and I take it for a test drive. The engine is smooth, confident and doesn't sound like my Volvo's Hoover Vacuum. Needless to say I bought the Audi and will never go back to Volvo.

Volvos were great cars until Ford started to interfere with their build quality. Now I'm sure they are still great cars like Saabs. But all the Volvos/Saabs I have driven since Ford/GM takeovers have been huge dissapointments. I drove Saabs for years before I switched to Volvo, and I guess I'm onto Audi's now. I still think Saabs look hot.

edit: I know that was off topic, I just love talking cars.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

i absolutely love mine and it's great for the winters here in indiana where we get a decent amount of snow/ice. the only other car that i would trade it for would be another audi, probably a newer s4, like a '04 or something so it still has the 4.2 v8 in it!