Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried Terra clean?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Anyone tried Terra clean?

Please see below some posts of mine on another site that show my interest, then the process of getting the car Terracleaned, what it involves and the results.
I hope you might might find it useful

The post below is identical to one placed on another site, BUT, there are pictures included which I can't seem to upload here, so I've inluded a link to the original post for those that may wish to view it, link below....
Terraclean anyone??

30/07/2012
Anyone considered Terra Clean?

Redirect Notice

As seen on Wheeler Dealers
Wheeler Dealers Terraclean.flv - YouTube
Terraclean Fuel and Post Combustion Decarbonizer - YouTube

This process is available for both petrol and diesel engines and something I'm considering doing to my Audi A6. She's now sitting at 95k miles and is running fairly sweetly to be honest.

I have recently replaced the fuel filter and also removed the EGR valve and decarbonised that, I stopped short of removing the intake manifold though so I'm sure I could still see some benefit from this.
I know of a few friends from my Jaguar forum who have had this done and say great things about it. One in particular is taking his wifes car, his brothers and his Father in laws back to be done.
At a cost of around £70 it definitely sounds worthwhile to me and won't break the bank.

Unfortunately demand is so great right now with still only a few dealers set up that it may not happen tomorrow.
Anyone any thoughts on this?

31/07/2012
Have you had a look at the website?
Have you seen the system in use with before and after emmissions results? They are there!
Redirect Notice

The link below...........go into the Video section and look at the scientifics behind it
Redirect Notice

The link below is to a post / testimonial done by one of the guys on one of my Jag forums.
He loves his car, takes very good care of it and does a lot of DIY himself as well as many upgrades.
He is one that will also call a spade a spade and say if something is right or not......his testimonial forms part of his post I guess
Terraclean as seen on Wheeler Dealers...my results!

Personally, I don't think I have a problem with my emmissions, I'm interested to see what it does for my mpg.
If I can get another 3-4mpg or even a little less, it will pay for itself and save money going forward.

BTW - I should add I'm not involved with them for commercial gain in any way shape or form....lol

01/08/2012
I visited Scott at warpspeedperformance, based in Kilbirnie and had the treatment done today at around 1pm, took a little over an hour and a half, the actual process is around an hour, but obviously we were discussing the process and then of course set up time.

The diesel version is different from the petrol version, ( Ie - they are totally different machines )
The diesel version has an inbuilt tank with a 50/50 mix of the treatment and diesel fue

Once everything was all connected up through my fuel pump and the feed to the tank was shut off, the process began. The car ran for 20 mins while the mixture ran through the system doing its thing, then a 20 minute "soaking" process during which time the mix was allowed to soak through the fuel system. Then it was another 20 minute session as per the first.

The revs were picked up to around 4k revs towards the end and there was certainly traces of black smoke ( not as much as I expected though )

I spoke to Scott about it and he explained that its still relatively new here, but has been in Canada for around 15 years. The Canadian government has been involved at some point and a lot of it is down to the drive for a cleaner environment. Subaru also use this process in Canada seemingly and recommend its done on a yearly basis to help keep down emmissions.

What have I achieved?

Scientifically speaking? We will never know I guess and no doubt it'll go back n forth for some time to come.

I do know that since I've cleaned my EGR I'm a lot happier and I'm sure its helped some.
I've also switched to running a couple of tanks of Shell V power through here and she did seems a little livelier for sure and mpg "seems" to have improved so far.

The Terraclean today, I'm confident it has helped clean through the system and will reduce emmissions ( Its certianly not going to make them worse )
On the way home after a few runs, during which it did expell some black smoke, which I never experience, it cleaned up back to normal.
Seat of the pants driving to me, says it "feels" a little livelier again and more responsive / eager through the gears, but it is only a feeling

As the car sat idling then at 4k revs for some time. obviously mpg went right down. On the way back home through town, some motorway driving and being gentle she quite quickly started to rise on the mpg display.
Personally, I think that mpg may improve from before the treatment, but cannot say for definite at this time and will be monitoring where it goes over the coming days and weeks.
I'm £65 lighter and still happier that I feel as I may have achieved something positive out of this..............I'll report back as and when

08/08/2012
Ok, so no totally definitive results as yet for those that need it in blood, but, here's where I am so far......

History first -
Sometime ago I did serious mileage and 95% of that all motorway, with a little stop start and around town thrown in.
At that point my average was around 46mpg and fairly steady. The best I ever achieved was 52.1 mpg according to the DIS and that was when I was really trying hard.
On one particular trip I was so careful, cruising at 70 mph on motorway with some 50 mph in roadworks thrown in and this on a long journey. I managed to get in the region of 690 miles out of one tank and when I refuelled the DIS said 915 miles to empty assuming the same conditons I guess.

When I refuelled generally I could expect to see around 600 miles distance and probably achieved around 550 - 600 including what was left in the tank when I filled up.

Well over the years things change and my average has dropped dramatically.

Driving style -
My driving style in recent years has been fairly steady I guess you would say. Mostly I'm just getting around and usually do around 70 mph -80 mph on motorways, with good gear changes in plenty of time. I'm careful to never really labour the engine or put her under too much stress, but once in a while my heavy right foot makes an appearance and I have a blast or two here n there and some serious mph.
Its at these times I really use the whole range of revs and give her some stick I guess you'd say, but these days its occasional.

Recently -
Using the above driving style , but my travels have changed quite a lot. Nowadays most of my driving is all stop start and around town, usually at reasonable speeds with a little motorway thrown in.
If I had to put a figure on it I'd hazard a guess at around 85% town and 15% motorway.
My average according to DIS is now 36.6 mpg and I get around the 500 miles to a tank, maybe a little more including whats left when I refuel if I'm lucky.

As you know, I had the Terraclean diesel treatment done recently on my car and I'm keen to see what, if any difference it has made. To be fair its not just about this as I also recently had a new fuel filter installed and also removed and cleaned my EGR valve.
On top of this I've changed to using Sheel V power diesel as well.

Well, I had to fill up tonight and clocked the miles driven at 575.8 miles with 5 miles left in the tank

Having reset the trip I was showing 47.7 mpg although this clicked over just before I took the picture to 47.0 mpg

So 575.8 miles with 5 left in the tank plus ( the general consensus of opinions seems to be around ) 7 litres in reserve.
checking my receipt it showed I refilled with 71.28 litres, based on the fact I have an 80 litre tank that leaves around 8.72 litres left so thats about right I guess.

So 575.8 miles + 5 left in the tank + 1.92 gallons @ 47 mpg = 671.04 miles approx had I run her dry.

When I refuelled the DIS said 820 miles to go till empty

Ok, so I may not achieve that but time will tell I guess.
Coincidentally, 820 miles divided by 17 gallons = 48.2 mpg so perhaps the DIS isn't so far out as some think?

Ok so based on the fact that I've recently had a fuel filter changed and removed / cleaned my EGR valve and based on the fact I've recently switched to using Shell V power diesel, its not exactly scientific and not necessarily just down to the Terraclean treatment.

Maybe its helped maybe it hasn't?
For the nay sayers and those that want to demand cold hard facts before they move a muscle, all I can say is, I'm just stating where I am and what I've found, no more, no less.

The car, as it happens is running sweet as a nut, smoother than its been, not that I've had any issues, simply smoother. There is a "seat of the pants" feel that its slightly more responsive, slightly quicker, but thats all it is, a feeling.
I'm going to try and keep an eye on my mpg over the coming weeks and months and report back.
I may set up a fuelly account and use that as well.

Thanks for reading

13/08/2012
UPDATE>>>>>

Ok, so having filled my tank with Shell V power and running it through after the Terraclean treatment, I believe I'm starting to see fairly significant mpg improvements ( albeit its early days )
I will return here and to the fuel consumption thread Fuel Consumption and cheap fuel and post updates as and when I've completed a full tank and also further fill ups moving forward, for those that may be interested.

As previously stated the absolute best mpg I ever actually attained was approx 695 miles
This was ALL motorway and I was hypermiling to try and achieve the best results possible.

This current tankful of fuel, has been a mix of approx 60% city driving with 40% dual carriageway / motorway thrown in.
Although I'm trying to see what is the best mpg I can get, my boot is crammed full of workgear including files / boxes / jackets / hard hats & boots etc as it always has been.
I'm driving carefully and to the limits, no harsh revving, perhaps one slight burst of speed for a little while

The first results are shown below.
The fuel gauge although it cannot be seen has not moved from full at this point.

Distance travelled 76.6 miles
DTE ( Distance to Empty ) 655 miles
Instant MPG - 44.7mpg

Further through the tank of fuel ( still no pic of the fuel gauge - sorry, but at around halfway between full and 3/4 )

Distance travelled 130.6 miles
DTE ( Distance to Empty ) 645 miles
Instant MPG - 48.6mpg

Having eventually learned, the fuel gauge can be clearly seen in these pics and this is where I'm at to date.
The fuel shows clearly that its well above the halfway mark. Usually I can predict around 240 miles - perhaps 280 at halfway position!

Distance travelled 335.9 miles
DTE ( Distance to Empty ) 455 miles
Instant MPG - 51.2mpg

Incidentally, the lifetime mpg counter has been at 36.6 mpg for as long as I can remember, and has since started to climb, currently at 37.1mpg.
From experience ( unless reset ) this will be a very slow n steady climb if there's a continuing upwards trend.....we'll see.

If, and I know it is If I can achieve anywhere near the targeted 790 miles range + whatever is left in the tank it will be the best results achieved over 5 years of ownership AND through a mix of motorway and city driving, not just motorway miles( I'll try and be as accurate as I can with the mix when I post of course )

In the meantime, I've started a fuelly account to try and cross refer my findings
I'll post again when I have more info.

14/08/2012
UPDATETODAY 14.08.2012 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

History first
I used to get decent mileage but then I travelled mostly motorway miles. The best I ever achieved was one day when I had a particularly long run ( approx. 700 miles to cover in one day ) This was with me 6’3” 17 stone + a workmate at 6’7” 19 stone,work gear and a boot crammed full of work related items.
I managed 695 miles covered with 40 approx left in the tank + reserve fuel meant I could have got about 850 miles at the 52.2mpg rate had I run her dry.
Incidentally when I refuelled the DIS told me to expect a 915 mile range if I travelled in the same manner going forward.
915divided by 52.2mpg = 17.6 gallons so it all seems to work out fine!

Recently
My mpg is shot to bits, I travel a mix of city and motorway now, probably 60/40 or thereabouts, maybe even a little more city stop start than that even. The car doesn’t always get up to temp and the instant mpg usually hovers around the mid 30’s range, high 30’s to low 40’s if I’m lucky on motorway jaunts.
The average for the lifetime of the car was recently showing36.6mpg.
Based on the fact I usually get around 500 – 550 to a tank + whatever isleft in reserve it kinda works out about right.

Past week or so
As you may know I recently cleaned my EGR valve, switched to Shell V power and had a Terraclean treatment done on the car. I’ve been monitoring my mpg etc ever since and recently started a fuelly account to help with this. My first fuel up showed 36.7 mpg which is scarily close to the average showing on the DIS in my car.

My second fill up I looked even closer and decided to see what I could get out of her and if the steps I took had any effect. I topped her off with Shell V power and reset the instant trip, but left the lifetime trip meter as is at 36.6mpg

Over the course of the full tank I probably did a mix of 75% motorway and 25% stop start town driving. I was careful, not exactly hypermiling as the boot was still crammed full, the AC was on and the drivers window open slightly as I am a smoker.
I managed to get 750.2 miles on a full tank and this left zero miles in the DIS so I was essentially on reserves at that point.

I refuelled almost exactly the same as the last fill up at £104.01 for 70.80litres of Shell V power diesel. On the basis that my instant mpg had seen 52.2mpg but settled at 51.2mpg and the the fill up showed me that 9.2 litres (2.03 gallons ) remained in reserve, meant if I had run her dry I was looking at an 854 mile range….not bad!

This turnaround in a week or so is impressive, at least for me

From past experience the car’s computer slowly builds mpg when driven sensibly and economically but reduces it drastically when the lead foot appears. 5 years of ownership has taught me once its way down at the kind of levels I mentioned earlier it takes a long time, lots of regular motorway miles and very economic driving to get the upward trend back on track

The only part I don’t understand is the DIS after refuelling showed a DTE of 715 miles?
I was sure this was based on the level of fill x the instant mpg which would have meant approx. 910 mile range NOT the 715 miles as indicated.

Anyhow in the matter of less than a week my mpg isup from 36.6mpg to 42.4 according to my fuelly account, even though my instant trip on the DIS shows 51.2 and the average for the lifetime of the car is now at 37.1mpg

This shows a huge improvement for me as far as I'm concerned and I further believe that if I can continue the trend and drive enconomically I can achieve even better results.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

WOW nice article. Very thorough I must say. I also saw this on Wheeler Dealers. Its seems like a pretty good system. I'm not sure I would use it unless I had a direct injection engine for one,and for two had more than 100k miles on the clock. I have both. 2005 3.2 A6. 132k miles. My mechanic said he is amazed at the condition on the car and the oil and the way the car runs. It was driven by a guy who followed the service intervals to a tee.

That being said, I average about 22 mpg 60 hwy 40 city. It does hesitate on start up when cold, but otherwise runs like a dream. I am quite sure I have some serious carbon build up in the throttle body, valves etc.. but no dummy lights on, and I live in an area that doesn't require emission tests. My mechanic has a system and I don't know if it is Terra Clean but quoted me at 250 dollars US to clean the system. I will find out what his system is and report back. My theory is " if it aint broke don't fix it " Once I have a serious mpg drop or the car runs like a 79 Ford Bronco II then I will address the problem. Until then happy motoring!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 PM
N@z
1st Gear

Great feedback, very informative and interesting - I have an Audi A4 V reg, have had it almost 9 years, love it , currently coming upto 226K on the clock but running like a dream. Thinking of trying this out, thanks for sharing your info Jim, cheers.