Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APR bi-pipe, Samco TBB, or neither?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:50 PM
1st Gear
Default APR bi-pipe, Samco TBB, or neither?

I have had my 00 2.7t for a month now and will be adding a chip sometime this spring. Before that I will install vast piggies and change the DVs to 710Ns, because they are far cheaper than Baileys. My question is this, how important is it to change the TBB when dealing with the added boost of a chipped car? Also which option would you recommend? These are the only mods I plan on doing to the car and would like to save money if possible.
Thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: APR bi-pipe, Samco TBB, or neither?

Let me answer your question with another question........Do you want your car to drive properly?

OOOO

Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

Yes....I don't really see the point of your sarcasm.....all i'm asking is if it is an absolute necessity to go with the APR bi-pipe....I am never gonna be using this car for racing....btw thanks for your help, without you taking the time out of your busy day and giving that valuable information my car would probably just blow up sitting in my garage, I am forever indebted to you.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:22 PM
3rd Gear

Your car may run fine with the stock DVs and TBB, but various posts in this forum and my own indie shop suggested I replace them with heavy duty alternatives to avoid blowing them out with increased boost. You can see my selections in my signature. PS - These were the cheapest parts of the chipping.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 PM

I blew my TBB within 2 weeks of chipping. the car won't break down, but will drive as if there is no boost (all the boost goes into the engine bay).
If i were to redo my upgrades, i would go Samco because of the price. i felt no noticable difference in throttle response with the Bipipe. Also, the bipipe adds a couple pounds weight.
Go with your pocket, neither has the advantage except price IMHO.

Note:Also budget a couple hours labor for the BP

Old 03-06-2008, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Ok, so you want your car to run properly.....thats good so..........if you chip your car, you will absolutely need to replace your TBB (Samco), your diverter valves (710n, Bailey, Forge, Hyperboost, etc.), and you will want to replace your air filter (K&N people cry the fu*king blues that K&N are not good for the car, if you are careful and do not over oil it, you will be fine, ITG or an aftermarket intake system). The APR Bi Pipe would be needed if you decided to do a stage III car, which it does not sound like you are planning on that.

Happy Driving!

OOOO

Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

im running stock tbb but i am going to buy a samco from awe this week ... thing just looks chinsey... to chip def get the oil filter and DVs ... u dont need piggies and an exhaust but they are always a good idea for pressure issues with the exhaust as chipping your car makes it much more aggressive

Old 03-09-2008, 06:14 PM

Well, I wasn't convinced. I was certin that the TBB would be fine with the new APR chip I just installed. Guess what. It's not, The car is sluggish granted there is still a good amount of power, but compared to two weeks ago its horrible. I bought DV's, but i think its time for a new TBB. I think I will buy a Bi-pipe because I plan to do Stage 3 and need a new Timing Belt soon!

Time for a quick question, how hard is it to replace a TBB

Old 03-09-2008, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Boundries

I have had my 00 2.7t for a month now and will be adding a chip sometime this spring. Before that I will install vast piggies and change the DVs to 710Ns, because they are far cheaper than Baileys. My question is this, how important is it to change the TBB when dealing with the added boost of a chipped car? Also which option would you recommend? These are the only mods I plan on doing to the car and would like to save money if possible.
Thanks.
I have hadwhat it is called stage 2+ with the stock TBB for 10k miles without any problems. If the TBB goes bad I would then get a replacement.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear

how do you know the tbb goes "BAD"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: APR bi-pipe, Samco TBB, or neither?