AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   APR chip installed (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/apr-chip-installed-8597/)

blk2.7t 05-12-2005 12:50 AM

RE: APR chip installed

you should find a dealership with a good motorsports division that is willing to work with you. find a dealer with performance enthusiasts working there. i spoke with three different dealers and each had a different answer as to weither or not they would do warranty work on my car.

azheman17 09-21-2006 08:53 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was told to SEARCH! lol

I was thinking about the possibly of chipping my A6 when I get it. And I was wondering what, if any, other mods are necessary in order to chip. Do I need a new exhaust, intake, etc.? Or can I just get the chip installed and be done with it.

How easy is it to remove the ECU to have it shipped to whoever does the APR chips?

Thanks in advance.

Branden

votblindub 09-21-2006 10:01 PM

Chipped A6 2.7T, must be NICE!
http://www.b0g.org/wsnm/uploads/pedo_bear.jpg

i3uddha 09-21-2006 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: azheman17

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was told to SEARCH! lol

I was thinking about the possibly of chipping my A6 when I get it. And I was wondering what, if any, other mods are necessary in order to chip. Do I need a new exhaust, intake, etc.? Or can I just get the chip installed and be done with it.

How easy is it to remove the ECU to have it shipped to whoever does the APR chips?

Thanks in advance.

Branden

LOl - yeah i got fooled ithought this was a new post till I saw Imolas4 on there... :D
you can get just the chip... actually you can just go to a dealer & get your
ECu flashed.. all about 20 min.
Id upgrade DV's & TBB to be sure (its covered at the beginning of the thread too) ;)

azheman17 09-22-2006 12:01 AM

What do you mean I can go to dealer and get my ECU flashed? What does that do?

ORIGINAL: Turbo i3uddha

LOl - yeah i got fooled ithought this was a new post till I saw Imolas4 on there... :D
you can get just the chip... actually you can just go to a dealer & get your
ECu flashed.. all about 20 min.
Id upgrade DV's & TBB to be sure (its covered at the beginning of the thread too) ;)

SouthboroAudiGuy 09-22-2006 12:36 AM

Chipping an ECU changes how the engine controls various aspects of fuel mixture, timing, and turbo boost. It gives you additional horsepower for very short money. It does come with a price however... By putting additional stresses on the engine, various engine parts are likely to fail earlier. These would include the throttle body boot, the diverter valves, and -- if you really push the envelope and don't follow the good rules of turbo ownership (gentle warm up until oil is over 175 degrees and gentle cool down for the last few miles until you turn the engine off) -- turbo failure.

If you don't know what it is, I'd recommend you do a whole lot of reading before going that route. It can be a very rewarding and economical way of boosting performance, but it can bite you if you don't go in knowing what you're getting into. For some background reading, following the link in my signature to my registry page. Once there, look for suggested readings and find Stoney's Links.

Finally, this is not something your Audi dealer will do -- it may actually void parts of your warranty. I think the "dealer" being discussed here is the dealer of the chip modification company (really just a software load these days). GIAC and APR are a couple of the major players.

votblindub 09-22-2006 06:23 PM

yea, that whole warranty thing is kinda a bitch. im upset that audi doesnt have a tuning company that would make parts for em and not void the warranty

ppgoal 10-04-2006 09:35 PM

I read about 30 pages of these postings before deciding to GIAC chip my 2003 A6 2.7T w/ 6 speed. It had 74K miles on it. Based on reading I also added the Bailey diverters and a Samco TBB. I only have a 1000 miles on it so far, but it definitely pulls more strongly above 3000rpm. Downshifting to 5th or 4th redlines too quickly. It gets from 70 to 110 very quickly.

I do notice a slight oil smell after a few hundred miles of highway running. Mileage seems a little down, too. But it is also colder here in MI now and it gets better mileage in hot weather.

I don't jump on the throttle very often and I will be changing oil frequently and using Mobil1.