Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi 2.7t fact or myth help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Default audi 2.7t fact or myth help.

I am new to audi. I want an a6 2.7t 2000. I am not a mechanic but i am very mechanically inclined ( i rebuilt my engine,and installed everything i ever did on my b5 passat with a chilton and PASSATWORLDS help). I have a few Q's about the 2.7t 2000.
1. Does the entire engine realy have to come out to work on or remove the turbos if i have trouble with them?
2.Why cant the smaller oil lines be upgraded to post 2001 lines?
3.Does the 2.7t a6 have any serious trouble with timing belts or does it have a chain?
4.is the engine non interferance or interferance
5.Is there anything i should avoid like the plague when i first go to inspect the a6
6. I own a vag com and will be scanning codes also, are there any things suspect i should watch out for?
7.I saw the recalls and tsb's is there anything else i should watch out for?
8.I will be doing some regular maintenance when i get it what should it be?

thanks for everything i hope to make a home here like i did on passatworld/clubb5

Old 11-01-2005, 07:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: audi 2.7t fact or myth help.

hi, welcome to AF. don't know the answers to all your questions, but i'll try to knock out a few.

3.) they have belts that should be changed on the manufacurer's schedule (somewhere around 60-70k for the first time). haven't heard anything bad about the belts except when you don't change them in time and let them break then it could cause serious damage. only the 4.2s have timing chain.

5.) check out the turbos first and formost b/c it's the most expencive to repair. during the test drive if the turbos make a high-pitched drilling sound rather than a soft whinning sound thats no good. then after a good strong test drive, go to the front of the car and see if you can see any type of steam emmit from them, or you can even smell them if they are going bad. only other thing to watch out for is the control arms. if you hear a squeek when you push down on the 4 corners then thats a clue.

8.) you should be able to ask any technologicaly up to date machanic your cars maintanance schedule in relation to it's milage. or you may even be able to pull it up on line somewhere.

anyway, get it in shape and post some pics. we would luv to see them!!!!

Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 AM
1st Gear

4). Yes, the 2.7 is an interferance engine. Cam belt goes, you risk engine damage. People recommend changing the waterpump when the cam belt is done due to the potential of a water pump causing the belt to go and kill the engine.

Chances are you won't really notice the control arms till they are shot. You might feel a shake in the wheel, or a rattle when you hit a bumb if they are really bad. As far as I know, only the front uppers are the issue. Lowers are more solid, there is a recall on them for certain years. Never heard of any rear suspension issues.

4dot... Not sure why u'd see steam coming from the turbos, there is no water around them at all. They are oil cooled.

Early turbo issues could be detected by oil in the intake lines, but tiny, tiny amounts are normal. Turbos are not considered a weak point on the car though. Other turbo issues signs could be smoke in the exhaust, but thats extreme.

Front Rotors are considered weak, but thats a standard wear part. Cars are bsically solid, no major flaws.

CHeck out audiworld... they have better DIY info.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: FootIntheGrille

4dot... Not sure why u'd see steam coming from the turbos, there is no water around them at all. They are oil cooled.

the only reason i say that is because when i had my A4 1.8t thats how i could tell that my turbo was going out. doesn't make sense to me either.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:25 PM

i hear a lot of complaints about turbos in the s4 bt not so much in the a6 maybe more room is that much better in the a6.
From what ive read so far it seems if i upgrade the turbo oil feed lines(assuming it can be done) replace the Y pipe do my OCI on time and get a turbo timer i should be fine. but the search continues. i found lots of good stuff on http://www.vastperformance.com/ but the search continues thanks

Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 PM

i found some info on the bipipe and i am confused. which is the pipe that can cause problems? is it the bipipe or the Y pipe on top of the engine? and any engine prep i should do before chipping would be great also

Old 11-06-2005, 02:56 AM
3rd Gear

Yes the motor needs to come out to work on the turbos. Never heard of any issues with the oil feed lines or the y pipe. The turbos are water cooled and have oil going to them. Youll be able to tell bad links because the boots will be torn. Check for oil leaks on the underside of the cam gear covers and at the front and rear propshaft seals.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 4dot

hi, welcome to AF. don't know the answers to all your questions, but i'll try to knock out a few.

3.) they have belts that should be changed on the manufacurer's schedule (somewhere around 60-70k for the first time). haven't heard anything bad about the belts except when you don't change them in time and let them break then it could cause serious damage. only the 4.2s have timing chain.
5.) check out the turbos first and formost b/c it's the most expencive to repair. during the test drive if the turbos make a high-pitched drilling sound rather than a soft whinning sound thats no good. then after a good strong test drive, go to the front of the car and see if you can see any type of steam emmit from them, or you can even smell them if they are going bad. only other thing to watch out for is the control arms. if you hear a squeek when you push down on the 4 corners then thats a clue.

8.) you should be able to ask any technologicaly up to date machanic your cars maintanance schedule in relation to it's milage. or you may even be able to pull it up on line somewhere.

anyway, get it in shape and post some pics. we would luv to see them!!!!
4dot, I don't know what year your 4.2 , but my 2002 has a timing belt, and not a cheap one at that!!

If they revised the 2.7t like they did the S4, then I think they changed the routing of one of the oil lines to the turbo (mid 2001 model year??)

I think the pipe that you are referring to is the "F" pipe that was present on the earlier 2.7t

Old 11-24-2005, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

the turbos do have coolant feeding through them as well as oil for lubrication, theres a afterun coolant pump that sits under the intake that leaks. the best way to check it is to pull your engine cover off and look down in the valley tray area for coolant. last time i did turbos on a 2.7 i dropped the whole subframe engine tranny and all. also check the pressure side of the intake lines for excessive oil.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

One of the older guys in my shop did a turbo without droping the whole thing

But he is the most experienced guy we have and would not suggest doing this

For the Techs

P.S he made like 10 hours on that job doing it that way

Quick Reply: audi 2.7t fact or myth help.