Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi a6 2.7t oil pressure light on

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Default audi a6 2.7t oil pressure light on

i was driving my car just like a normal day, then i hear beep beep beep. i lookd at the screen and i see the oil pressure light on. i stop and checkd the oil and the dip stick showed it was over fiilled so i thought there was no need to add oil "maybe is just a over fill" but i would never do tat. i been cheking my oil pressure for 2 days already, i noticed some little tiny bubbles. i took the car to the mechanic and he said it could be a bad oil pump which is about $260 labor about $200. the mechanic also mention he had to remove the front suspension in oder to b able to remove the oil pump is this true?? and is thre anything else i can try to do before replacing the oil pump?? please help!!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:19 PM

i have the same issue the oil beep comes on and stays on, i had the oil pump changed cuz they told me the same thing iafter changed it still does the same thing i didnt even bother after that if you figure it out let me kno but it isnt the oil pump so skip to next step cuz i did that it was i waiste but im glad i could stop u from making the same mistake ihve a 2000 a6 2.7t

Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

It could still possibly be an oil pump in your case. The tiny bubbles could simply be a bit of moisture in the oil from cold starts and short trips. I had a similar problem on my STS. After some reading and a visit to the dealer (which yielded no actual solution) I decided that it was simply the sensor so switched to a 15-40 weight oil (diesel oil). And this fixed my problem. Not sure how your motor would respond to this oil, but I may have noticed a while back in my owners manual for the 4.2 that it would take it.... ill have to double check that though.

oh, i also heard that the turbo audis that year are prone to engine sludge if not running synthetic oil. maybe thats your problem. some sort of blockage

Last edited by WoodShoe; 03-08-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Here is an article i found that might be of some help;

VW / Audi sludge problems

While the the 1.8T engines in Audi A4's, Audi TT, VW Passat, Jetta, Golf, New Bettle, are all very prone to sludge build-up, Audi/VW does not have an extended warranty for them from the factory. The factory warranty is 4 year/50,000 miles but it can be extended if purchased.
Although Audi/VW now has 10,000 mile service intervals, oil changes can be done between "services", and should be done if the vehicle is driven in heavy traffic, offroad, and non-highway use. Also, Audi/ VW will only warrant an engine if the customer has proof of all their oil changes. As of 2004 I belive all 1.8T engines must use synthetic oil.
So if you own one of these sludge-prone engines, what can you do? Obviously, Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) recommends that you use only VW/AUDI recommended oil which at the time of writing is Castrol Syntec 5W-40. You should also keep up on your oil changes, making them more frequent if you drive hard or haul a lot of cargo. The most important thing for the VW or Audi owner is this: if the oil light comes on and beeps the high pitch beep that most everyone ignores, pull over and shut the engine down immediately. Many VAG engines can be saved by this procedure. Have the vehicled towed to a VAG dealer. Their standard procedure is to inspect the cam bearings; if they're not scored, the oil pan will be removed and cleaned out and all the crankcase breather hoses and the oil pickup tube will be replaced. They'll do an oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge, and hopefully will also replace the turbo lines. Finally, the turbo will be checked for bearing free-play. The VAG turbos run really hot even with proper oil and coolant supply - that's why you need a good quality synthetic in them.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

^^^ agreed. Oil is a huge must be monitored on these cars. If you think there is a blockage and sludge, maybe try seafoaming the crankcase before moving on to the next step.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Thumbs up

i did the oil change yesterday, i changed my oil from valveline to castrol 10 w 30 since is kind of cold in denver colorado. i ran the car for a couple miles and it seems fine mi oil was very dirty i regret takin it to a jiffy lube they seem to use cheap oil which could couse sludge. hopefully the light stays off.
i will keep everyone informed of what goes on after this. i own a a6 2000 2.7t

Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 Audi A6 2.7T Oil light

I was using Castrol Edge Sport (10w-60). Car ran perfectly. Last oil change I used Castrol Edge (5w-40). Oil light has been coming on and the oil temp is high (120-130C) at least once a day, but the oil levels are fine. It has been recommended that Shell Helix Ultra is the perfect oil for these cars. Dealers use Castrol Magnatec. I will be changing oil to Shell in the next couple of days and will let you know the result. Anyone else experiencing oil problems or cooling system problems?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear

I would try seafoam. Generally speaking, the 2.7T suffer from oil sludge issue. IMHO, synthetic oil is really required for the turbo cars.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Where is the oil pump located?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

If the crankcase is overfilled as you mentioned, the crank striking the oil surface can foam the oil into a froth and it will not pump or get to pressure, this could be the bubbles you saw. Never let the sump stay overfilled, it can lunch the engine, especially on high speed runs. You didn't mention how overfilled it was, but even one quart can start problems.

Quick Reply: audi a6 2.7t oil pressure light on