Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 Advanced Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A6 Advanced Key Question

I am looking at buying a 2006 audi a6 ( i havent seen it in person, but am looking at its pictures on the internet). In the pictures I see Engine Stop / Start buttons, but when I called the dealership they couldn't tell me if it was the advanced key option. They said that you still have to put the key in to start it.

If it has the buttons does that mean it has the advanced key? Do you still have to put the key in anyways with this option?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 PM
4th Gear

If you have the vin, call a dealer, give it to them and see...

Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 PM

I have the advanced key tech package with the start/stop button..you never need the actual key. If it has the start/stop buttons, it has the tech package. To start or stop the engine you just depress the brake while in park or N.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

here are the pictures of the dash and the buttons, as you can see the key is in the ignition.. If it has the buttons I think it should be the advanced key option... but the dealer is telling me they cannot verify that.. that is kind of weird that they don't know (they arent an audi dealer)

Old 08-22-2009, 12:09 AM
4th Gear

Call an Audi dealer..

Old 08-22-2009, 01:59 AM

I just did alot of research and looked at more than a few A6's before buying my 2006 A6 4.2L yesterday. If it has the engine start and stop buttons, it has the tech package with Advanced Key. I never saw one that had the buttons and didn't have the advanced key. Therefore if you turn the key to the right just out of lock and remove it, you will now be able to start and stop without putting the key in. You simply depress the brake and then hit the button to its second detent and it will start the vehicle for you.

The key in the pic is not turned to the proper location for this to work.

The dealer that has the Audi simply doesn't know enough! Of course, you will need to make sure they/you have the smart key.

Good luck! I love mine so far!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 AM
2nd Gear

While the car clearly has the advanced key, which does not require the key to be in the ignition, I am guessing that the advanced key switch is broken and the seller is clueless. In 05 and 06 there were some real problems with the switches. Dealer told me that some owners went through 3 or 4 of them before the design was finally corrected.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

this car is covered by the original manufacturers warranty, would an audi dealership cover the fix if thats the case?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jattsingh
I am looking at buying a 2006 audi a6 ( i havent seen it in person, but am looking at its pictures on the internet). In the pictures I see Engine Stop / Start buttons, but when I called the dealership they couldn't tell me if it was the advanced key option. They said that you still have to put the key in to start it.

If it has the buttons does that mean it has the advanced key? Do you still have to put the key in anyways with this option?
I think I already answered this question in the audiworld forums but yes it has advanced key. The doors should lock/unlock without pressing any buttons on the key or without using it in the lock as you approach/leave the car. You may have to pull up on the handle a couple times before it unlocks. The car should also start without putting the key in the ignition. You press the start button once to turn on accessories and a second time with your foot on the brake to start.

Looking at the pictures, both the start and stop buttons are lighting up which is a good sign. Ask the dealer to get in the car and press the button twice with his foot on the brake to make sure the key and option is functioning properly.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 AM

Yup, start stop button, means smart key.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 Advanced Key Question