Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 Switchblade Master Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A6 Switchblade Master Key

My A6 recently had to be towed because the Anti-Theft Device computer system(please pardon if this is not the right terminology) had stopped working and the car would not start. I gave the tow truck driver the valet key and the spare switch blade master key because I always had them together in one key ring. I also have another master key which is what I use all the time attached to my main key ring. The dealer where my car was towed to had asked me to bring all the keys I have so these can be programmed. So I brought in the one master key that I still have at home. When I came to pick my car up after it was completed, the dealer only gave me back one master key. They said that the only key that they got when my car was brought in by the tow truck was the valet key. I called the tow truck driver and I was told that he gave the dealer whatever I gave him. So now my one master key is missing. The dealer insisted that they only got the valet key from the tow truck driver and the one master key that I gave them. The tow truck driver insisted that he gave them whatever I gave him. So now, I am caught in the middle with only one master key left and not knowing where the other one is. Is there a market for this? Is it possible for my car to be stolen with this other missing master key? Who is ultimately responsible for this? The dealer or the tow truck company? What are my options? Thank you very much for anyone's advice.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 PM
3rd Gear

You cannot prove that the dealer received two keys (valet + master), while you know exactly you gave the tow truck driver both of them.
Filing a police report/complaint may be the right start.
Next, we may see you on Judge Judy as a plaintiff against the tow truck driver or the dealership.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear

If you have insurance, pray that the car gets stolen. You will make out!

If you don't and/or you are worried about it, have the dealer order a new set of keys and have the car reprogrammed to the new set.

Otherwise, don't worry about it. The tow truck driver probably lost it in his cab.

Bob

Old 01-01-2011, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
...If you don't and/or you are worried about it, have the dealer order a new set of keys and have the car reprogrammed to the new set....
Bob
= $100's of dollars!

Old 01-02-2011, 04:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
You cannot prove that the dealer received two keys (valet + master), while you know exactly you gave the tow truck driver both of them.
Filing a police report/complaint may be the right start.
Next, we may see you on Judge Judy as a plaintiff against the tow truck driver or the dealership.
I do like watching Judge Judy

Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by niknak
= $100's of dollars!
True. And it already cost me a lot to get fixed

Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

The dealership should have had to sign off on some kind of paperwork to receive the keys from the tow truck driver. If they didn't, then the tow company is at fault. Speak to someone higher up in the business chain than both the driver and the audi desk person and try and get something done. Don't just sit around and let it slide. It doesn't hurt, nor cost anything, to ask questions. You might **** off a couple people, but there's always other places you can go with your business