Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi Navigation swap compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Default Audi Navigation swap compatibility

Hello, so I'm new here. Bought my A6 Wagon about a month ago and just loving it. The grip is phenominal! I do have a few questions for you more experienced owners here.

I'd really like navigation and perhaps dvd capability. I'd like to stick with stock though. I've noticed that the later models do have this unit and need to know if they would fit and be compatible with my car. Will the guage lcd still display my station information correctly and will the car computer have any issues with the different head unit? Here is the one I'm talking about. This model. Not necessarily that one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-...QQcmdZViewItem

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...QQcmdZViewItem

or perhaps this (though I don't want to pay over a thousand and it doesn't look as stock as the other two.

Also, is it possible to play dvds with this? How about mp3 cds?

My other question is about the rear tails on my wagon. Does anyone know of a source for tinted or aftermarket ones? I simply want them to closer resemble the center light section in the rear.

Here are a few pictures!

Name:  A6whenpurchased5.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  106.6 KB

Name:  A6whenpurchased.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  138.9 KB

Name:  A6whenpurchased2.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  118.1 KB

Name:  A6whenpurchased3.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  75.9 KB

Old 12-20-2007, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Audi Navigation swap compatibility

Get the RNS-E, it's much more up to date, & uses a DVD instead of 13 CD's like the RNS-D. Yes, all of them will work on the center gauge display.
The E has 2 compact flash card slots, so you can play MP3's, both units will let you hook up the factory iPod adapter instead of using the CDC.

Both units do not have use of the CD/DVD drive other then using it for the navigation disk. If you want to watch movies, you got to get an external DVD player with a adapter to hook to the unit. There is also a factory Bluetooth & TV tuner for the RNS-E.

They are also both plug & play, with a new wiring harness & a Vag-com. They take about 20min to install.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

Hi! my 2.7t C5 A6 has the audi simphony stereo... I also would like to get the navigation plus system (the widescreen one). I found this ebay link from a seller that includes a video of how to install it (scroll all the way to the bottom)

what I don't understand is why do they have to remove the instrument cluster and play with the connectors and wiring them with the navigation system... is this step really necessary?? thanks

Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 AM
1st Gear

anyone??

Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

uh i dunno about removing the cluster man ... i installed the pioneer avic-d3 and my station info doesnt show up but i wouldnt go screwing with stuff behind the inst. cluster to try and get it to work ... i have heard of pioneer head units that allow u to get functionality of ur steering wheel controls ... im not sure the model but if u contact pioneer they can def tell u

Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 PM

i know they place the gps nav antenna behind the instrument cluster