Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic Towing Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 AM
1st Gear
Question Basic Towing Help

I'm looking to tow a lightweight atv/quad bike (250cc) with my manual Audi. I'm confused by the various terms and classes used for US v's European towing sites. What wiring do I need and why is there such a wide difference in tow bar prices?

I've never towed anything before so keep it simple.

All I've figured out is that there is this constant debate about should you or shouldn't you tow with your car.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM

why dont u just use trailer for towing ?
you tow with manual as u are on snow or ice, slowly, start best in second gear so u dont jerk the vehicle behind....

if its just a short trip, use rope or steel rod..hook it up and dont forget to put signaling on atv...I dont know how u do it in states, but here we use trailer or if we are poor, hehe..we just use towing cable and red triangle on the back of the towing vehicle

Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 AM
3rd Gear

LOL I used to tow a Datsun about 50 miles behind a VW bug to Watkins Glen with a tow bar for SCCA races. I would have prefered a trailer, but the big issue was money.

I don't know about the laws where you live but it is simple. The ATV manufacturer should be able to give you info aboutwhat is needed for their machine if it can be done and you should be able to find a trailer hitch for your car that matches the load capacity.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dannyghost
why dont u just use trailer for towing ?
you tow with manual as u are on snow or ice, slowly, start best in second gear so u dont jerk the vehicle behind....

if its just a short trip, use rope or steel rod..hook it up and dont forget to put signaling on atv...I dont know how u do it in states, but here we use trailer or if we are poor, hehe..we just use towing cable and red triangle on the back of the towing vehicle
Man, you brought back some darn towing memories... gotta watch the brake lights of the car in front, keep the cable always "stretched" and as much as possible "straight" in curves, don't over brake, etc, etc. Helped once someone buy a couple of cars from Gyor, Hungary and the one I was driving died in the way back. Had to be "towed" about 650 KM via rope...

Sorry for the off-topic, Kat.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dannyghost
start best in second gear so u dont jerk the vehicle behind....
Sure, if you wanna burn the **** out of your clutch. Its not a transport truck man. Start in first. Drive easy and the car wont even notice. (except for hard braking will be even harder without a brake assist trailer)

Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM
3rd Gear

The original owner of my A6 towed a small trailer and there is an installed hitch with a small (1") towbar. I've never used it -- just paint it black periodically. I have always suspected that this towing....or my chipping the car and having a heavy foot....contributed to needing a new clutch and flywheel at 90k miles. But occasional, light towing should not hurt an Audi. I disagree with a 2nd gear start. Recommend a very gently, smooth start in first and then up through the gears.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by WoodShoe
Sure, if you wanna burn the **** out of your clutch. Its not a transport truck man. Start in first. Drive easy and the car wont even notice. (except for hard braking will be even harder without a brake assist trailer)
i was reffering to tow cable usage..2nd gear would be best, if u use tow bar..dont bother , and if you dont have numb leg..you want burn your clutch...hehe

well, in any case..atv is not heavy machine and you wouldnt damage your car, people tow their motor boats with audi's here...so no worries

Old 01-07-2010, 04:23 PM
3rd Gear

This sounds like a little ATV that weighs 400 pounds at the most.
We have little info about how far or often he wants to tow the thingy wingy.

If it is a one time deal a few miles then a rope would be OK , but if it is a multiple times many miles then a trailer is the way to go. A tow bar is Ok for cheep guys!

BTW starting in 2nd gear??? Wouldn't it be better to use a 40 ft bungi cord between the vehicles, rev the Audi up to 4,000 RPM and dump the clutch? That way the clutch would not slip and the trailing vehicle would not get jerked too hard when it started moving. After that things could get interesting, but I'd rather not think about it just now..

Old 01-10-2010, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help so far.

A bit more info. Probably towing the occasional 400-500 pounds for 80-100 miles one way.

What is the difference between a tow bar and hitch, or are they the same things? See what I mean about not knowing the basics.

No worries about snow. There is sand and heat where are I am

Old 01-10-2010, 04:48 PM

use trailer. its simple

Quick Reply: Basic Towing Help