Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery low when air conditioning on

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 AM
1st Gear
Default battery low when air conditioning on

I was suggested to post it in A6 forum. Here it goes.

I boughtmy2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quatro with 30k mileson it. The battery was deadin Nov/05with 41k miles and dealer replaced it for $290. In Dec. 07 I had problem to start the car twiceso took the car back to dealer. They checked it and said the battery was fine and blaming me for leaving the car idle for too long. I only left the car in garage for two weeks!

Last thursday, the battery light alarm wenton when I was driving. It was off after I turned off air conditioning and radio. The next day, the car would not start in a restaraunt parking lot. I thought the battery is dead so I bought a new one from dealer($170) and put it in last Saturday. I thougt I fixed the problem. Last nightthe alarm went on again with my disbelief so I drove the last 25 miles with lights on, but no radio and air conditioning. So far I have put 60 miles with new battery. I checked the battery today and it isclose to12 volts. Since I don't have the radio code so I can not disconnect the battery when engine is on.

What could be the problem here? bad alternator? what else can I check before taking the car to dealer?

Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Mike

Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Default RE: battery low when air conditioning on

sounds more like an alternator problem

Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 PM

alternator would be part of my diferential DX, but i will wanna rule outa weak seperntine belt or tensioner. watch your head lamps on acceleration. do they get brighter? if yes your alternator is probably giving up

Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear

Look into an alternator rebuilt kit. Don't know for sure if they make one for our alternator, but our alternator is pretty generic so there should be one. Just call around to alternator shops and they can probably get you one. Rebuilding your alternator is pretty easy.

Jeff

Old 07-25-2008, 10:59 AM

i am also thinking there might be a short, which would explain it dieing after being parked for two weeks.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM

I had the same issue and had to replace my alternator

Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the reply.. I can not post anything here..

Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Did you do a load test on the alt? Have you ruled anything out?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:28 AM
3rd Gear

100% alternator. Instead of getting raped on battery prices you should've gotten the code

Old 08-02-2008, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

I went to dealer and they said it is alternator. It was replaced for $1000. I got my radio code too so that I can work on this car myself next time. Hope this alternator can last for a while.

They also suggested me to replace my new battery saying that battery was used up while alternator was out. I declined. Does it make any sense? I thought the battery is chargable and should last for a while.

thanks for your responses.

Mike

Quick Reply: battery low when air conditioning on