Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEST INTAKE FOR AUDI 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:35 PM
1st Gear
Default BEST INTAKE FOR AUDI 2.7T

<-------------- Noob Here ....Hey Folks.

Just bought an 2000 Audi A6 2.7T ...And i gotta tell ya..Im loving this Audi world I've stumbled onto.
Anyways... I wanna install my first mod , and intake. Im hoping you guys have suggestions.
I have looked aroung the inte. and found 2 so far.... ABD RACING ...or ... EVOLUTION MOTORSPORTS.
Dont know if these guys are creditable, but the seem inexpensive.
Im doing DP's after this, then the chip........mmmmmmmaybe the K04 turbos<------is there anything better than this.
well thats my fist post for my first day... hope you guys can help.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: BEST INTAKE FOR AUDI 2.7T

The best intake is NOTHING! Stick with your factory airbox and put a K&N or an ITG air filter in it. An open air intake in these cars will suffer from heat soak!

Good Luck!

OOOO

Old 05-14-2007, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the input... After posting it I read some of the posts.
And learned alot.... will the Drop-in reaise the hp..or should I do the drop in with
a new chip, maybe do the downpipes before ...
and i saw your ride... i like what you did to your grille/bra combo you got there.
SOmething you did... or is it bolt on?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the compliments!

I would say that before you chip your car (GIAC or APR), take care of the necessities first, meaning DV's (Forge, Hyperboost, etc), TBB (Samco hose or APR Bi Pipe) and because you have a model year 2000, the "F" hose. Chipping the 2.7T means a huge increase in HP and boost. The air filter will not do much as far as performance gains. I'd say once you have these things taken care of then go with an exhaust system if you want. I currently use the Milltek Cat-Back. I do not have DP's yet but I am currently looking at Vast Piggies. My grill is a Kamei with the Audi logo from the TT. The bra I hate, its from Colgan custom and I use it only when I highway drive.

Once again, good luck and let me know if there is anything I can answer for you

OOOO

[IMG]local://upfiles/13659/0EF587B58BFA486D9CB3C0C44A812143.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2007, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

Gotta say... Thats alot of help for my first post..
I learned so much already..if not for this i would of already
bought the 299 dollar intake....whew. Picking up a drop-in K&N
tomorrow.and will look into the items mentioned.
I love this friggin car so much.. its amazing.
But your ride is sweeeeet. looks clean.
Will definetly post some more stuuf on here..
thx

Old 05-14-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

Just remember one thing in regards to your K&N filter when it comes time to clean it. Be sure to not over saturate with oil. The oil if it gets on the MAF sensor, it will ruin it. Spray the oil without getting the can too close to the filter element. Once coated with oil, let it sit on a piece of newspaper for about 20 minutes. The excess oil if any will run through to the newspaper!

Also the filter box can be tough reattaching the clips, especially the one in the back (not enough room to get your hand back there). You can use a hanger to reattach the back clip. Make a small hook with the hanger and you can get it reattached. It works like a champ for me!

Also i looked at my previous response to you about the chip. Take care of your necessities DV's, TBB, F Hose and from there you could chip your car. You most certainly do not want to chip your car without the previous being in place! And remember proper turbo maintenance, meaning drive easy for the first few miutes until your engine oil gets to about 175 degrees and then drive easy for the last few minutes before you shut it down!

OOOO

Old 05-15-2007, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

Most definetly will do that with running easy at start and at shutdown... dont know much about
turbos, but i do know they are expensive to replace...... I read that installing downpipes cools them
a bit, would that be something to do before the chip. and whats a DV , TBB and F-HOSE..
and are those somethings i can do myself.
Again ...thanks for your help bro, these AUDIs are great cars but they need alot of attending
to..... I cant wait till I start modifing this beauty.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Audi cious

Most definetly will do that with running easy at start and at shutdown... dont know much about
turbos, but i do know they are expensive to replace...... I read that installing downpipes cools them
a bit, would that be something to do before the chip. and whats a DV , TBB and F-HOSE..
and are those somethings i can do myself.
Again ...thanks for your help bro, these AUDIs are great cars but they need alot of attending
to..... I cant wait till I start modifing this beauty.

Here is a text book definition of a DV for you....

What is a diverter valve? A diverter valve (DV) is a pathway for boost when it is not being used by your engine. Whenever the throttle body is closed, like during shifts or decelleration, the boost needs an escape route. If the boost cannot escape during these times, it can back up and cause shocks to the turbo. These shocks will stall the turbo, slowing boost production upon re-acceleration (turbo lag). Even worse, these shocks can cause damage to the turbo. The diverter valve's job is to open when the throttle body is closing or closed, and reroute the boost to the low pressure intake side of the turbo, where it can do no harm.

The "TBB" is the Throttle Body Boot. The factory one's cannot handle the boost from chipped cars. It will tear. The Samco Hose will correct this or you or youcan go with the more expensive APR Bi-Pipe which eliminates the "TBB".

As far as the "F" hose.....I am not too sure of that myself. I know from reading that they tend to just wear out and tear. The hose does look like an "F". Its inexpensive and worth the replacement. I just replaced itto get it done!

You can do the work yourself. I did my DV's. I have a great inde mechanic, so I let them do my TBB and F hose. There is not much room to work on the "F" hose and you have to basically disassemble the top portion of the car, the intake "Y" pipe on top, one of your DV's and its still tight! Your TBB, DV'sand F hose are underneath the cosmetic cover with the Audi logo.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13659/7ACE846E8EEB444AA899A7AA0463E350.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13659/4770F21F4ED34BA699F2FD37FB94DF4E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2007, 09:31 AM
3rd Gear

The chip will make the biggest power difference on a turbo engine. Takes the stock from 250hp to ~318hp. But Joeski is right: replace the diverter valve and TBB first or at the same time to save yourself grief. The Audi makes plenty of power with the chip, but the K04 (and K05) can take it higher. But you have to have deep pockets. I recommend taking care of the OEM turbos.

Also be aware that the extra power of a chipped engine stresses everything else, esp the drivetrain. I think it contributed to my clutch and flywheel failure, and I had to replace them about 10k miles after the chip.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

Excellent point......I also replaced my clutch and flywheel!

OOOO

Quick Reply: BEST INTAKE FOR AUDI 2.7T