Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the best looking C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mystrodo
I personally think it looks as beautiful as I've ever seen a C6..he did it right.... not cheap.
He did it indeed NOT CHEAP, but did he do it "RIGHT"?
Since you're very familiar with the thread you proposed, I wonder if you're expert eye is ok with the way the wheels change the camber when he lowers the car (as he provided the "full range of suspension"):

Name:  FRONT.gif
Views: 1639
Size:  1.76 MB
Name:  REAR.gif
Views: 2113
Size:  4.74 MB

Moreover, if he DOESN'T DRIVE IT LOWERED, as you said, what's the purpose of wasting money on a 6 month-long and expensive project that rides on wheels not spec-ed for this car by the manufacturer? Ah, nevermind, I get it... it must be the Photoshoping hobby he has.

P.S.
It is actually funny that a member with a much nicer car (camerri) - at least the color -

thinks that the lowered car looks "sick"...
De gustibus...

Old 07-18-2010, 05:51 AM
2nd Gear

Which Kevin, makes it (IMO) an even better car mod..he didn't change the length, he didn't chop it, channel it or add LED's everywhere no plastic wings or wanna-be go-fast body mods/kits or any major noticeable changes except the wheels and some subtle pin striping..it's whats under the skin that I appreciate and the custom look he can achieve with the touch of a button.
Each of us have different tastes and like different things. That car and its technology makes you smile. In contrast, while I appreciate the technology, the look of that car causes me to laugh my a$$ off. Of course you may not like what I think are subtle changes under the skin, except for the wheels, that were made to this Rolls Royce. Now this is hot

Attached Thumbnails Is this the best looking C6-rollsroyceoffroader_resized.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Nice demo on the wheel camber with credit to Mike Gilbert (owner) and his Photobucket photo site.

He doesn't drive it under *normal conditions totally dropped/lowered, I would think that would be fairly obvious. More importantly, he also states the car handles *better since the mod then it handled before the changes, now which wheels he had on regarding that statement might be a good question for Mike since he has more then one set of wheels.

People mod their cars for personal reasons and identity, his Audi S6/A6 is a standout amongst other cars of this class..he achieved his goal.

Last edited by mystrodo; 07-18-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelin erors
Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 PM

you forgot the interior pic. car is sick and thats why there are always haters.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technic...7613287857711/

Old 07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Site Moderator

I've seen that car in person at a So Cal euro meet, it is a very interesting car, and when i saw him driving it on the freeway he was almost that low. Which is downright silly/stupid, but if he enjoys replacing oil pans he can knock himself out. I personally liked the car when i saw it in person, it doesn't look as good in the photos though....

Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

I have never liked the bloated ghetto wheels on cars, maybe its just the association aspect of it.
I do like it when folks improve the car design, but this is not really an improvement in my opinion, it's like setting a fire for attention.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Nice demo on the wheel camber with credit to Mike Gilbert (owner) and his Photobucket photo site.

He doesn't drive it under *normal conditions totally dropped/lowered, I would think that would be fairly obvious. More importantly, he also states the car handles *better since the mod then it handled before the changes, now which wheels he had on regarding that statement might be a good question for Mike since he has more then one set of wheels.

People mod their cars for personal reasons and identity, his Audi S6/A6 is a standout amongst other cars of this class..he achieved his goal.
Thank you kindly, sir!

Originally Posted by Kevin
I wonder how the clown drives it with his big red shoes.
They're suede, and size 12 by the way.

Originally Posted by Kevin
Each of us have different tastes and like different things. That car and its technology makes you smile. In contrast, while I appreciate the technology, the look of that car causes me to laugh my a$$ off.
To each his own, I guess.

Originally Posted by chefro
He did it indeed NOT CHEAP, but did he do it "RIGHT"?
Since you're very familiar with the thread you proposed, I wonder if you're expert eye is ok with the way the wheels change the camber when he lowers the car (as he provided the "full range of suspension"):

Moreover, if he DOESN'T DRIVE IT LOWERED, as you said, what's the purpose of wasting money on a 6 month-long and expensive project that rides on wheels not spec-ed for this car by the manufacturer? Ah, nevermind, I get it... it must be the Photoshoping hobby he has.
:facepalm:

I did everything "right" if you're asking. The suspension is made by Bagyard Air Ride out of Austria. They have full TÜV certification for these struts/bags. They start with OEM-specific Bilstein sport struts, then replace the springs with heavy-duty airbags. The ride is amazing- even with the rubber band tires. When I put my factory 18" wheels on there- the ride is much better than the factory suspension.

The camber and toe out are a result of Audi's suspension design. The only way to correct the toe issue is by installing new adjustable control arms (which aren't available for the A6) I simply drive at a reasonable ride height to avoid any issues. I'll lower the car if we're taking photos, driving through a show, etc. though.

In the end, I build this car for ME- and nobody else. I've always loved the lines of the C6, and felt lowering it would be a viable option. I couldn't be happier with the car (aside from the horrible in-town gas milage and oil 'consumption' -which Audi says is 'within spec')

You accuse me of 'wasting money' and running wheels that are 'out of spec' on this project. Two fun little tidbits of information:

1. In my opinion (as well as most who see the car), this project has been money well spent. If I have the disposable income to build a car to my liking, who are you to tell me I wasted my own hard-earned money.

2. A 20x9" wheel with an offset of 40 is well within Audi's specs- they sell several 20" OEM wheels as optional equipment on the A/S6. Your argument is invalid.

Thanks for your concern though, Dad.

Thank you kindly, sir!

Originally Posted by auditech79
I've seen that car in person at a So Cal euro meet, it is a very interesting car, and when i saw him driving it on the freeway he was almost that low. Which is downright silly/stupid, but if he enjoys replacing oil pans he can knock himself out. I personally liked the car when i saw it in person, it doesn't look as good in the photos though....
Thanks! It's a polarizing car for sure. Are you sure you've seen it. I live in Seattle, not California- it's never been down that far South. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is replace a $900 oil pan on this thing. Highway trips are made at a normal rideheight as the suspension naturally toes and cambers out at lower height- tire wear is a big concern as well.

Originally Posted by oldmots
I have never liked the bloated ghetto wheels on cars, maybe its just the association aspect of it.
I do like it when folks improve the car design, but this is not really an improvement in my opinion, it's like setting a fire for attention.
Of course, that's your opinion. Ghetto. Really? Audi sells plenty of OEM 20" wheels for the A/S6 if you want. Citing it as an attention grab is utter nonsense. I'll bet you're a real blast at parties.

Here's a shot of my 'in-town' ride height. I'll raise it up all the way for highway trips.

In the end, I'm just a guy who loves his polarizing car. A few more shots to leave you with- and fan the flames.

You can check out the full set here:
/

Last edited by mikegilbert; 07-22-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Default oldmots

Originally Posted by oldmots
You drive a Jaguar..that explains a few things

Last edited by mystrodo; 07-23-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Jaguar..he's really lost :)
Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear

The camber and toe out are a result of Audi's suspension design. The only way to correct the toe issue is by installing new adjustable control arms (which aren't available for the A6) I simply drive at a reasonable ride height to avoid any issues. I'll lower the car if we're taking photos, driving through a show, etc. though.
Tks for replying directly to my questions for Mystrodo, who graciously introduced your car. However, some details were left out and if you read again the context in which were asked, the questions weren't neither out of line, nor "smug" or "malintended". If indeed the .gifs are a true representation of that great suspension's range, then please let us also know when you buy your next set of tires. I doubt that change in camber (as portrayed in those .gifs) will be beneficial for the life expectancy of any tire you ride on. But of course, you must be a suspension professional, so hat off to you...

You accuse me of 'wasting money' and running wheels that are 'out of spec' on this project.
It was just another question, but you rush into conclusions without reading (again) correctly the context. I didn't accuse you of anything, and if you read carefully maybe you can understand the context (no disrespect).

2. A 20x9" wheel with an offset of 40 is well within Audi's specs- they sell several 20" OEM wheels as optional equipment on the A/S6. Your argument is invalid.
I thought AUDI-USA offers models with only up to 19 inches, but I may be wrong. You certainly seem to know exactly what they offer.

Thanks for your concern though, Dad.
Your disrespect shows indeed the age, son. Stay in school... You're welcome, btw.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by mikegilbert
exactly! ^^^
Mike, keep doin what ur doin. ur car is sick and I love what you've done with it!