Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinker Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Blinker Problems

Hey, Has anyone had problems with their blinkers? Mine have been cutting off after a couple blinks, I think I need a new relay?

Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 PM

very common...mine went out 2 weeks after I purchased my car...The hazzard switch controls the blinkers and the hazzards separately and one can go while the other still functions. (my hazzards worked fine while I could only get a few blinks from my turn signals)I purchased a new switch from the stealership for like $40 and put it in myself at a Wal Mart parking lot. I used a wide putty knife to gently pry off the woodgrain trim and took a pair of needlenose pliers to gently pull out the hazzard switch. Be careful not to let the cord that connects the hazzard switch to the inside of your dash fall inside of the opening in your dash. I think you can get the switches online for a cheaper price but I did not want to wait for them to be shipped to me.I am a heavy blinker user!!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, man

Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM

yup. x2. I got mine from genuinevwaudiparts.com for $31 shipped. Took about 5 minutes.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

Ok so I have yet to buy my new switch because I'm a little concerned on which one to get.
I went to the Audi dealership and they gave me a quote of $70 for a specific one I had, which he claimed was different then most of the ones I see on the internet. I get home and I start looking again and everything is 10 pin online, but I pull mine out and it is 9 pin. Should I be concerned. His part number was 4B0-941-509-K-b98 Everywhere I look i find 4B0- 941-509-D-b98??? I can't even find a 9 pin one?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

I would get the 9pin if I were you. I got the 10pin and it is a little wider, not allowing me to put the trim piece around it back on. I have yet to order the 9pin.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Default For The Future

This article was a great help when looking to replace my hazard light switch. I was able to call a dealer and, with my VIN, they were able to tell me what switch I needed before I ever had to open up the panel. I have taken my car there to have some work done before, so they were helpful.

They still wanted $80 for the part but I found it on eBay for $65 (w/ free shipping) so I think I will still do it myself but if that faceplate breaks I'm going to be bummed.

I checked out http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com and they had it for $57 shipped but I hate not having a picture or pretty much any information about the part. Since I'm not a gear-head seeing the picture of the part I need and the words "10 pin" so I know it is the right one is worth the extra $8. Plus then I have a good security w/ Paypal.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:34 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DtTall
This article was a great help when looking to replace my hazard light switch. I was able to call a dealer and, with my VIN, they were able to tell me what switch I needed before I ever had to open up the panel. I have taken my car there to have some work done before, so they were helpful.

They still wanted $80 for the part but I found it on eBay for $65 (w/ free shipping) so I think I will still do it myself but if that faceplate breaks I'm going to be bummed.

I checked out http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com and they had it for $57 shipped but I hate not having a picture or pretty much any information about the part. Since I'm not a gear-head seeing the picture of the part I need and the words "10 pin" so I know it is the right one is worth the extra $8. Plus then I have a good security w/ Paypal.
Write an email to genuinevwaudiparts.com. They are AUDI dealer parts counter and will respond to you with information needed. I had mine ordered from them.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Almost like new...

This was as easy as paulb said. I ended up breaking off 2 of the clips (can I just say that there is almost nothing holding the metal clips to the trim). I will just glue them back on; no big deal.

I pulled out part 4B0941509C and put in 4B0941509KB98. I am not sure what the difference is. Everything appears to work fine.

One small issue is that while the hazard button worked beautifully (with that pleasing *click* when you press the button) when hooked up (but not installed), when installed it was very tight - hazard lights turned on, but not off. I removed it and my best guess is that there is a little too much pressure on the top and bottom of the case and it stops the button motion. I was able to replicate this by squeezing it. I'm not sure what to do.

Should I try some WD-40 for lubrication or just never press the button?

On the plus side, my blinkers work wonderfully again.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 PM
1st Gear
Default elbow grease meet blinker problem

OK, so I read all the posts from you guys, confirmed that I indeed had a relay problem and directly proceeded to contact the dealer and various parts purveyors to purchase a new relay... $56, $72, $85... plus shipping, etc... didn't want to spend the money so... I removed the relay, disassembled it and with headlamp on (so I could see what I was doing) saw that there was a little burr on the contact point. With a little elbow grease, and a little screw driver removed the burr reconnected the relay and it worked brilliantly. Thanks for helping me diagnose the problem correctly, now I'm not just another a**hole in traffic that seems oblivious to proper blinker etiquette.

Quick Reply: Blinker Problems