Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blue/black smoke when start

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Default blue/black smoke when start

I bought this 2002 2.7T A6 with 84000 miles and while it does not lose oil and runs great, it generates a good amount of blue/black smoke when first starts cold for the first second or so. It also run the RPM quite high upon starts. Could it be cold injector adjustment (is there such a thing), dirty cold injector, or perhaps something more sinister?

Thank you!

Old 08-14-2006, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: blue/black smoke when start

Well, in my experience, blue smoke is too rich mixture and black smoke (with your turbocharger) is possibly a bad seal on the turbo.
When my wife bought her Saab 9-5 last winter, the dealer (not Saab dealer) changed oil, tires, brakes, etc. Long story short, when I changed the oil when next due (5K miles) with the recommended synthetic, she would get this black smoke on startup. It was the turbo; it was explained to me you can go synthetic to regular, but do not go back becuase of the chemical nature of the regular oil. Regular oil builds a film on the seals, bearings, etc that does not go away at oil changes. Now, when a synthetic is reintroduced, it washes/wipes off this film which creates a gap in the parts. Not that they are unportected now, they just "leak".

Like I said, I do not claim to be a mechanic, but that is what was told to me about the oils.

Black smoke=oil
Blue smoke=gas

Brian

Old 08-15-2006, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

yeah your are dead wrong
black smoke - too rich or too much gas
blue smoke - burning oil
whtie smoke - burning coolant.
more than likely your turbo's are shot the oil seals that is..allowing oil to build up and get burned.. are you burning oil? if you dont think so pull an intercooler hose and see if there is oil on the inside

Old 08-17-2006, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: steviejayvaughan

yeah your are dead wrong
black smoke - too rich or too much gas
blue smoke - burning oil
whtie smoke - burning coolant.
more than likely your turbo's are shot the oil seals that is..allowing oil to build up and get burned.. are you burning oil? if you dont think so pull an intercooler hose and see if there is oil on the inside
So, can you tell me why the car was literally covered in black smoke on start up and you say ithat is a sign of too rich and the problem was the seals in the turbo?

Brian