Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Red error + abs light

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake Red error + abs light

Hello , I own Audi a6 2.8 Quattro engine , Manual gearbox , 1998
Recently my Brake light start appearing on my main screen ( red big ) and also my ABS amber led small one come up - Once I can drive whole day and all is ok no problems - than I stop the car and it come back on the screen - I get resopnd that problem is with The ABS ECU fault and will need repairing , Im just looking what it is related I mean I want to check if this is a problem so Shall I go to electric garage so they can test it or is it mechanich garage - or do you think it may be related to different problem

Thanks for help

Old 11-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Sounds like a bad module. It would be consistent if it were a fuse or a wheel sensor, and those are the symptoms of a bad module. I had the same issue with a 99 Passat that had the same 2.8L and the Bosch 5.3 ABS module, same as yours.

I think eventually the tachometer will stop working as well, mine did. I had mine fixed by these guys:

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/wizard/index.php

They have good instructions for removal on the site, and it's perfectly safe to drive without the module.

Best of Luck,

--
Paul

Old 11-08-2008, 04:31 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Paul I will have a deeper look into it - Im driving like that for lat 3 k miles and I haven't notice any problems with brakes - but you never know ;/ - Thanks for the address

Ps. I just went using this ABS wizard , and after answering my questions it looks like I will have to check my sensors in first place, I remember I had problem with left weel , and mechanic was replacing one rubber which look like funnel bigger one with alots of lubricant in it - sorry I my english is limited with tech descriptions for car parts - but after that I went off the road and it appeard - I will go with this instructions you gave me they look very promissing

Best wishes

Emanuel

Last edited by emanuelm; 11-08-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:22 AM
1st Gear

I rerun this wizard again to be sure and I read it more carefully

This condition indicates the ABS module is not getting power.

First check the ABS fuses. Your ABS system uses two fuses; one in the engine compartment and one in the main fuse block under the dash.

If both fuses are good, make sure there is +12V on pin 15 of the ABS module connector.

can you help me where can I find the second fuse ???? the one on the engine compartnemt

Old 11-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Maybe someone else can verify this, but I don't think there are any fuses under the hood. There may be more than one in the fusebox.

Checking pin #15 would be a good indicator of power, though.

--
Paul

Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by emanuelm
I rerun this wizard again to be sure and I read it more carefully

This condition indicates the ABS module is not getting power.

First check the ABS fuses. Your ABS system uses two fuses; one in the engine compartment and one in the main fuse block under the dash.

If both fuses are good, make sure there is +12V on pin 15 of the ABS module connector.

can you help me where can I find the second fuse ???? the one on the engine compartnemt
Your ABS module has failed. This is an extremely common problem with these cars. The reason it's not getting power is not because of a fuse, it's because the internal wiring in the electronics of the unit have separated and the unit no longer has power.

I can rebuild this module for you if you are interested. send me an email: sidespar at yahoo dot com

Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

You really have a manual 5spd 2.8??

Old 11-12-2008, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

Yep 2.8 Quattro in manual 5 I just love it - If any one will tell that A6 is to big thats cool - I was driving Nissan Micra for 5 weeks - no comment about it

Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by emanuelm
Yep 2.8 Quattro in manual 5 I just love it - If any one will tell that A6 is to big thats cool - I was driving Nissan Micra for 5 weeks - no comment about it
Interesting! I thought all US specs A6 came as auto. Where did you buy yours?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

Well probobly you right with US models - my one is UK as I live in UK - hope this will explain why

Quick Reply: Brake Red error + abs light