Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken into

Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Broken into

I got a special gift last night. I was at the gym and my car was broken into.Nice story so get this..
I walk out of the gym at around 9:17 P.M. and start walking to my car, I see a car's alarm flashing so im like hmm is that? Yep my car. Instantly new my car was broken into. So I calmy walk over to my car, front passanger window smashed in. I check my glove box. My sony PsP still in there. Damage consists of a broken window and small portion of peeled weather strip. Not the smartest guy, looks like he tried to peel open the door and failed and instead hit the weather strip at the edge of the window. Then Alarm went off so he smashed in the window and grabbed w/e. I was so hitstaricle, I ddint even notice anythign missing, it was hilarous. So I start walking back to the gym, BAM! Atleast 10 cop cars roll in. I was thinking damn that was fast. They drive right past me (this si all happening in a gym plaza) and this kid (about 17) starts running so they nab him. I run over immediately thinking haha kid youre going down. But apparantly I ran over for no reason because it turn out a kid commited suicide 1/2 mile away. I dont know what I't had to do with my car or this other kid running so I figured whatever. Also turn out someone else came over saying there car got broken into 5 minutes ago.
Later I realized they did take something.....The pants I took off before i went into the gym Pockets completely empty.

I must have been targeted, there are amg mercedez's, BMW's, and other nice cars in the lot that blow my little 99 a6 away.

We'll I cant get it fixed till after christmas for sure. So im curious whats the cost on a repair for that thing? Im pretty sure its cheaper than my fricken insurance deductable.

Last edited by jzstuggie; 12-23-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear

That sucks big time.

We busted the drivers window on our 3 series a year or so ago and I believe it was 75.00 dollars from a junk yard locally. So with the Audi tax I would guess around 100.00. Finding a Audi part at a junk yard is like dealing with the drug cartel. Basically only two yards dominate the used Audi parts arena and they are both overpriced.

Not to hard to change. You could get the weather stripping from the junk yard as well.

I've never understood why people break into cars that clearly have alarms. And if you do, go for the ones with lots of goodies in plain site if your going to take that risk. Maybe they were hoping your wallet would be in your pants.

Last edited by Jeffla; 12-23-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Yea hopefully it wont eb a costly repair job. I say that because I have crap auto skills. Ive only changed as much as an alternator on a 93 altima. Id rather leave it to the professionals and pay for the work. Im just debating on wheter I should do an insurance claim or not. Ive got a friend in the auto insurance bizz, and he says even calling ur insurance company for a quote could raise your rates.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear

If you need a used replacement window try Force Five in Concord NH 603-223-6700. I get a lot of new and used Audi stuff from them because the price and quuality is great. They will UPS the stuff..

Old 12-23-2008, 02:01 PM

that sucks man, hope you get it taken care of!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
SoCal Crew Member

That sucks man, I'd say find out what your deductable is and then find out how much for a new one.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

You might want to check your insurance policy...some states have a $0 deductible on glass (like in MA). I had insurance cover glass for a broken window on my wife's truck, two windshields on my A6 (the 2.7T and the 4.2), and the outside mirrors (cracked last winter). Covered by insurance no questions asked, no money out of my pocket.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:48 PM
SoCal Crew Member

nice oh and make sure the broken glass didn't scratch the seats if you have leather, which I think you do lol. Happened on my truck and the insurance broker put in for new seats because later down the road he said the scratches would turn into cracks.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah, glass is almost always covered if its considered a saftey issue, and most glass is a saftey issue. I would definately check with your insurance policy if you have full coverage. The cost for changing a window at the dealer would be around $150 for the glass and R&R of the window regulator which is 2.5 hours. Probably around $400.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

Update:
Got my window fixed, only thing is my weather strip has about 1/2 an inch spot that looks kind of bubbled. Job cost me .............get this 139 dollars. And I didn't lift A finger. Professionally done WITH TINT!.

I also wanted to bring up the subject of an anti break tint for automobiles. It basically uses surface area to absorb impact if im not mistaken, U'll have a shattered, unbroken window if somene tries to break it, but it'll keep them out. . . Would it be worth it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken into