Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning loads of oil is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:09 AM
1st Gear
Default Burning loads of oil is normal?

Guys

I have a 2006 A6 2lr turbo petrolS line (197 bhp model) and I've owned it from 27000 miles. Its now done 34000 miles and it uses about 1ltr of oil for every 1500 miles.

Audi say this is within their working parameters but its definitely on the high side. Is this normal and is there anything (short of an engine rebuild) that can be done to fix it? Should I be kicking up a fuss with the Audi main dealer where it was bought from? Its going to be over £100 in oil a year!

I've never had a car - newer or older that used so much oil.

Thanks

Old 09-18-2010, 06:48 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

"within working parameters"

There are a whole number of different places that you can be losing oil. Until you can be more specific as to where it is going, there isn't much we can do to help. Given the consumption rate you specify, 1 ltr/1500 miles, you would probably notice if it was in the exhaust stream (bluish white oil smelly smoke). Do you have that? If not, give your engine a good visual inspection and look for places where oil/dirt seems to be collecting. Access as much of it as you are comfortable with and wipe everything down with a good cleaner/degreaser. A tight, non leaky engine, should stay relatively clean. See where oil/dirt starts collecting. That will give a better indication of what could be leaking.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:12 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. I'm very confident that its being burned and not leaked out. The engine is clean and the amount I have put in would have shown up on the driveway eventually and there's nothing. Is it really ok to burn through 1ltr per 1500miles?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 AM
2nd Gear

That's a bit too much. Oil CAN get sucked through the PCV valve into the intake, or it could get blown by the rings, through the PCV and into the intake. You need to start with a compression check and a leak down check.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 09-19-2010, 02:15 PM
3rd Gear

It's not normal. I have an A6 with 176k miles and a 2003 A4 3.0 with 85k miles and neither burn any oil between changes.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 PM
2nd Gear

that is way too much oil especially for a fairly new car. They are just trying to avoid having to diagnose and repair a problem that is going to be costly for them ( I am assuming you have some kind of a warranty). I have a saab with 275K miles that burns less than half that oil between changes (5k-7k miles).

Old 09-19-2010, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

IF your not getting satisfaction escalate , that is unnacceptable to be told this .. trying to get out of warranty repair .. just show you have done scheduled oil changes at required interval and they are on the hook. could be valve guides too .. that is where my money is ..

Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, the (main Audi) dealer is going to look into it soon. So far in just over 9000 miles I have put in 5ltrs of oil which averages 1ltr per 1800 miles.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 AM
2nd Gear

There were detailed posts here explaining the excessive oil consumption on 2l FSI engine - design flaws..
Just use the search!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

I always considered that when an engine burns 1 qt /1000 miles, it needs a rebuild and you are close. With such a new car, and you are SURE there is no leakage (the most likely suspect), there might be a problem with the rings from the factory or the crankcase vent system is overpressure due to bad compression rings. I would look there. I have seen oil rings installed upside down which will pump oil into the cylinders. I doubt the Dealer will pull the engine down until it looks like a mosquito control unit coming down the road though. Sorry, you have an unusual problem and it might require you to take unusual measures to solve it. I would take the vent system apart enough to be sure it was not full of oil and run a compression test for the compression ring health. It is also possible to get a blowby meter and check the crancase pressure.

Quick Reply: Burning loads of oil is normal?