Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to buy an a6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Default to buy an a6?

i just got rid of a 2001 m5. it had a ton of dinan performance mods, and was fast as lightning. im looking for something to replace it, with a nicer ride and an automatic transmission. the mechanic of the m5 has an a6 with 2.7tt that he's selling. i think he said he wants 8-9k for it, which seems high according to kbb, lets say 100k, i think. give or take 10k thats what i remember. i need some information. first, the stats i found online say its kind of slow. 7 seconds to 50 compared to my m5's 5.0 sec time, not to mention the dinan improvements. i may just want a v8 rwd car instead. my buddys 2007 v6 honda accord is rated about the same and has 20 more hp. i just wanna know if this car is what its cracked up to be.

also ive read some stickies and it does seem for $600 computer tuning i can release some power pretty easily. tell me if this car is what its cracked up to be, and what 1/4 times can i expect before and after the $600 chip. thanks,
jason

Old 09-19-2010, 01:49 PM
3rd Gear

A6s (and Audi's in general) are not drag race cars. They are too heavy and have the quattro overhead. A stock 2.7T is in the 6.5-7 second range and you can take off a couple tenths for the MT6. A chip, HD diverter valves, and HD throttle body boot installed will set you back about a grand and add ~68 hp. The power kicks in around 3500 rpm but it's still not a drag car. It will cruise happily all day at speeds well over 80 mph. If you want to light it up at stop lights, go pick up a ricer. If you want a nice, comfortable sports tourer then look at the A6. You could also look into the older RS4s with a 4.2 V8 stuffed into an A4 body, with suspension mods and looks included.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:57 PM

well i dont need a drag race car, but i'd like to mod it so that i can hit high 13s for not much more than a chip. im just using those benchmark numbers cause ive had cars about that fast and i'd like luxury combined with that. not that i was seeking out an a6 but i have one who i know the maintenance history and wouldnt mind making a deal with someone i know. just was wondering its capabilities stock and chipped.

also, what should i know before buying as far as their reliability or problem points. kbb says i should pay about 6500 but i figured they usually go for more than that? does that sound like a fair price for a 2001 with 100k??

Old 09-19-2010, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Who on earth gives up amd M5 for an A6 !!!!!!

the M5 is a fantastic machine .. i am sure your mechanic is licking his chops at your M5 . No matter what you will be dissapointed with just about any Audi in this range when compared to an M-5 . they are completely different class of cars ..

Old 09-19-2010, 06:23 PM

i flipped it, and sold the car for more than i paid for it. im not even planning on spending half the money i got for the m5, for my next "third car". it was lowered, and rode too rough for me. soo... there is the why. any insight on the a6 you guys can give me?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

check out this recent thread. You may find the information helpful.

I agree with ppgoal. The A6 isn't really a light to light car. Its more of a get in the fast lane on the interstate, set the cruise at 80, kick back and chill to your destination.

That being said, I have had some "spirited" experiences in my 2.7T.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jasonsa6
i flipped it, and sold the car for more than i paid for it. im not even planning on spending half the money i got for the m5, for my next "third car". it was lowered, and rode too rough for me. soo... there is the why. any insight on the a6 you guys can give me?
wow, what a bummer. The M5 is one of my dream cars.