Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy or not to BUY help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default To buy or not to BUY help please

hi all need some input on a A6 purchase. i was considering the purchase of a 09 prestige a6 car was sold new and maintained till current by the dealer who is selling the car. car is the 3.0 has 109,000 on it. dealer has service records on this car since new all maintenance is up to date. carfax on it shows nothing other than routine maintenance. asking price is 23,900. i do all my own maintenance on these cars and am decent with a vagcom. anything i should ask to be done or use as a negotiating tool to a lower price. or should i walk away because of the milage.. there is a 08 3.2 with 33,000 miles on it s line exterior and basic options for 22,900 but is from a dealer who bought the car from auction. he said the 08 is going to auction if i dont buy it anyone have any idea of what that car brings at auction? he really wanted to sell it. is the 3.0 motor that much harder to work on with all those miles it might be sooner than later. are there suspension components on the 09 that are ready for service. i,m new to the a6 cars

Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear

I don't really know much about the 3.0L, but my old audi mechanic told me to stay away from it. Not because it is unreliable, but because parts are more expensive and it is a real pain to work on. He even showed me comparison on how much he charged for a timing belt job on the 3.0l compared to the 2.8l. It was over 2k for the 3.0l and 1k for the 2.8l.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:03 AM
1st Gear

Both engines will be new to me but i here the 3.0 will be more work. it does drive nice though.. should have never got in it. if i could just stay content on owning pre 2003 model year stuff my life would be much easier. drove a 07 s4 today and would like to have that just not enough room for the kiddies. tried to find a post or vid of a tb change on the 3.0 but no luck

Old 03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

What else is on the 2008? if it doesn't have nav, back up camera, cold weather, advanced key, then that might be a good price. If it does have say nav, then that's a good deal. Check Edmunds or KBB. Certainly the mileage is below average. What condition is it in? And dents, scratches? Tires?
I just bought a 08 C6 with all the above with 37 K on it and new tires, extremely clean, for 27 and it included an extended 5 year warranty and it has Audi care on it.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 PM
3rd Gear

There is not a grand worth of additional cost to change the TB in a 3.0 over a 2.x engine. I had both my 2.7T and daughter's 2003 A4 3.0L MT6 changed last winter. Book rate on the 2.7T was 6 hours and the 3.0L was 7.5 hours. My indie mechanic was clear that the 2.7T was not hard to work on but the 3.0 was a pita. Audi parts in general are expensive unless you find good internet sources, which are out there.

I'd be more curious on how those miles were put on the car. I think a 100k highway miles is easier on the car than 40k stop-and-go city traffic. My A6 is a pubie under 204k and most of it is highway miles - very few problems in general since I bought the car with 37k miles. Clutch and flywheel, alternator, and cats have been replaced. Still on the original suspension, battery, and everything works except the headlight washers and the headlight leveler.