Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2005 A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Default Buying a 2005 A6

Can anyone tell me if there any issues or problems that I need to be aware of?

Old 07-21-2007, 06:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Buying a 2005 A6

Go to www.audiworld.com and do a search in the C6 forum. I bought a 05 4.2 sport package and loaded up about a month ago. They are very much improved over the C5. Dependability seems to be far better. You wouldn't think they could have improved them so much, but they did. They talk a bunch about the MMI on audiworld of the latest version of the computer. Not much else to talk about as the reliability seem to be way better now. Thanks Audi. And to think I damn near bought an Infiniti after the 02 2.7t. Only issue I can think of is to know the options you want. The trip computer is not standard on the 3.2 anymore I guess. Just do the research and make sure you get what you want the first time. Mine has everything but parktronic and tire pressure sensors. I love the advanced key, bluetooth, adaptive headlights, heated steering wheel, sports suspension and seats, sun shades, and the awesome 4.2 V8.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:06 PM

I own a 2005 A6 (1st & only owner), and as I am thrilled with the car,yet I cannot give such resounding applause. I have had problems with some creeking in the front dash(took several tripss to fix), still looking for a cell phone that works well with the MMI( right now I am using an iPhone - works just ok), tire pressure monitering system malfunction is intermittant, rear center roof brake light falling off, and multiple trips (like 3 separateones) to fix sunroof problemsAll problems fixable, and have not lowered my love for my car. But I cannot say I had NO PROBLEMS. I would have to say that my old 3 series was better built, not so much stuff falling off and braking....Could be because this is the 1st year the body style came out, but who knows. I would like to finish by saying the car looks great , drives good, and I am still glad I purchased the car. Hope this helps.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I have heard the tire pressure monitors leave allot to be desired. Thankfully an option I don't have. Mine is creak free and I have seen reports of some rattles. They can all be fixed at the dealer. I'm lucky with my Nextel I580 phone, works very well. Knock on wood that I had all the bad luck with my 02. I was not going to get another Audi. I could not help it after the weekend test drive with my 05. I was going between the Infiniti and the Acura, till I found the 05 4.2 sport package car. The Infiniti was already loosing paint and did not handle good. The acura was very nice but did not have the features of the audi. Folding rear seats, great paint finish, 12 year rust thru, or the style and the audi quattro. I was overwhelmed by the 05 Audi and just had to have it. Knock on wood it will be a good trouble free car. Off to a really good start so far. You must have a good dealer you can count on too! Service Mgr. and good techs are everything!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 AM
2nd Gear

I have an 05 4.2 that I purchased new. As far as reliability, she is ok, but she is no Lexus. Most of the problems have been nuisances. Some of which may be because I have one of the early 05s.

The airbag light came on two weeks after I purchased the car. It took them 10 days to figure out the problem. Audi then came out with a TSB on updating the computer software for the airbags.

The MMI "crashed" a year after I bought the car. After having the car for 8 days, Audi wiped the hardware clean and reinstalled the MMI computer software.

The MMI had a few bugs with not updating the satellite radio stations, losing surround settings and sometimes not automatically linking with my bluetooth phone. Audi had the car for a day and updated the MMI computer software. Audi has a TSB on this issue as well.

I have written those three problems off to having a very early computer software version. To give you an idea of the number of changes in the software, my car came with MMI version 10 and now has version 33. Since being updated to MMI version 33, about five months ago, I have not had any computer issues.

As far as non-computer issues. I have had a few. The first was that all 8 coil packs had to be replaced. The second was the lid for the gas cap would not open from inside the car. In order to open it I had to wedge my credit card inside the lid and open it from the outside. Audi had the car for 2 days to fix these problems. The third was that the frame for the front passenger seat came loose and the entire seat had to be removed and the bolts tightened. The fourth was a rattle in the glove box area of the dashboard. The fifth was a bad tire pressure sensor. The sixth was a mildew smell from the air conditioner vents. The seventh was a rattle from the rear fold down seats. The eighthisa rattle from the drivers side of the dashboard. The ninth is the fuel filter recall. The tenth is the fuel gauge sometimes reads empty even though there is fuel in the tank. Similiar to the computer issues discussed above,Audi has TSBs on allof these issues seeming to indicate that my problems are not isolated to just my car. According to the TSBs Audi correctedmost of these problems about halfway through the 05 model year.

Despite the car being at the dealer for 21 days for repairs during the last 28 months, not maintenance, I would certainly buy the car again because it is a lot of fun to drive, especially on the highway,and the dealer gives me a loaner. However, I would check which MMI software version is currently in the car. If it is below 33, I would take it to Audi and have it updated as soon as possible. In addition, I would check the car's VIN and compare it to the Audi TSBs and see what issues you need to keep an eye on. You can get copies of the Audi TSBs at eBahn's website. While the car is still under warranty, I would make sure you complain about any issues contained on the TSBs issued for your VIN.

Good luck.

Kevin

Old 07-25-2007, 05:22 PM

Thanks Kevin. I am going to do that. Could you tell me what the web address is for eBahn? Want to check my VIN #.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear