Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an A6

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Buying an A6

I'm in the market for a new car and I stumbled upon a 2003 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0L v6

I'm not really familiar with the Audi platform and I imagined it would be best asking you guys what to look for and what to take care of as soon as I buy it. It's driven 65k. miles.
I searched the forum and found little that could cause any actual worries.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

These cars are great and fun to drive but let it be said, and others will agree, it costs a lot to maintain. Make sure you get the maintenance records for the car and check that the car has been taken car of.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
3rd Gear

Do some searches on the 3.0 engine in the A4 and A6 area to learn about issues. I believe the A6 comes with the tiptronic or MT6 trannies, but avoid the CVT if it comes with one. Also it is a good investment to pay an Audi-knowledgeable mechanic to inspect the car as well as obtaining service records.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
Do some searches on the 3.0 engine in the A4 and A6 area to learn about issues. I believe the A6 comes with the tiptronic or MT6 trannies, but avoid the CVT if it comes with one. Also it is a good investment to pay an Audi-knowledgeable mechanic to inspect the car as well as obtaining service records.
Ditto. I think the CVT is in the FWD only versions. If you're getting AWD I think you're in the clear.

Overall, the 3.0l is a good compromise between power, reliability, and fuel economy. If you have kids or cart around other adults stick with the mid-sized A6. If not the A4 would help a little bit with fuel economy and parking/mobility (this is somewhat negligible though).

Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

I have it for 24hours right now to test drive and get a mechanic to inspect it.
I used the opportunity to cruise around all night and see how I liked the fuel consumption and driving it.
And I must say, I love it. It guzzles a bit more gas than I'm used to but then again I'm upgrading from a 97 turbo diesel Vitara that got ~45mpg, so that is to be expected.
I checked with the dealership already if it has the cvt because I had read here about it's reliability. And was relieved to find out that is was a tiptronic.

Here are some pics I took tonight.

I like it a lot, I just hope the mechanic won't have to give me some bad news tomorrow

Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by G3ML1NGZ
Here are some pics I took tonight.

I like it a lot, I just hope the mechanic won't have to give me some bad news tomorrow
Looks pretty clean. Pretty good camera-man too. What camera are you using?

If everything is well, then all you need is a window tint and some wheels. GL!

v/r,
Paul

Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

thank you, I'm using a Canon 50D and for these shots the Sigma 12-24.

And tints/wheels were first up on my "to-do" list. Although wheels will have to wait until next summer
For now it's winter tires since winter is closing in here in Iceland.

Friend of mine did a little search on the car.. I'll be the second owner. No accidents. full service history was in the glove compartment and everything looks good.

Last edited by G3ML1NGZ; 10-06-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

ok, now I've grown accustomed to having a ipod plug in all my cars. This one has a 6cd magazine but I'm wondering if there is any option to fit an ipod plug to the stock stereo like many bmw's and merc's can?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear

These wheels are very good looking and the easiest to be kept clean!
The car is going to be soon for TB - save your money for it.

No tint will prevent 5HP of at least of one of the numerous reported failures.

Does your mechanic use a digital stethoscope?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

I'm getting the TB/water pump/tensioner and brakes replaced as soon as I get the car.

But what do you mean by this? English is not my first language so bear with me
No tint will prevent 5HP of at least of one of the numerous reported failures.

Quick Reply: Buying an A6