Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 A6 lower front grille mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: C5 A6 lower front grille mod

Step by Step

Tools- dremmel
jigsaw
offset tin snips
sidecutters
linesman pliers

Materials- expanded aluminum (good quality from a custom metal shop)
16 ga wire

Step 1: Remove all three of your lower front grilles, the fog light grilles pull out easiest if yuou grab them nearer to the center grille and pull. Center grille is a bit stiffer, you may need to drop the front bumper to pull it out

Step 2: Take your 3 inserts and get ready to cut, for this process I tried various tools and techniques. In the end I found a combination of sidecutters and jigsaw worked the best.

Step 3: What to cut? On the center grill you will find that there are vertical support brackets behind the horizontal grilles. these must stay in tact, as they hold the mounting tabs. I cut out all the horizontal grilles, trimmed back vertical supports so they were all even.

Step 4: Once the cutting is done use the dremmel with drum sander attachments to clean up the raw edges of the cut ABS plastic

Step 5: You should now have the outer trim piece with the vertical supports inset slightly, from here you take your expanded aluminum and cut it to approximate size ( slightly larger than required). take your time lining the metal up, try to create an even look on all sides.

Step 6: mark your metal and cut to fit inside insert( again slightly large), this process is tedious and requires patience. You keep fitting and re-fitting while constanting timming to get the perfect fit.

Step 7: Once you are happy with the fit, take the 16 ga wire. Wire the new grille insert onto the vertical supports. If you cut your metal correctly, you will be able to hide the wire on the underside of the metal expansions(barely visible up real close) Use the linesman pliers to twist the wire until it is tight , your grille insert shouldn't budge

the fog lights are much the same process, I left the part which directs the fog light beam intact to help keep the light shining in the right direction. Fog light gilles only have 2 vertical supports, but you get the idea.

All three of these grilles should fit with ease back into their original location, using their stock mounting clips. I plan on finishing my grilles with 3 coats of high quality black paint.

good luck, have fun

Old 04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

You going to do the upper grill as well?

Lowers look great! but make the upper look a bit out of place....or its just me.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

stage 3....you'll never even think about this car being a stage 3...never.....

Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

The lowers do make the upper seem out of place. Definitely planning on the upper too. But it will be alot more difficult. I pulled the upper to check out how things line up and are mounted. Might require a little bit of engineering, but i'll getter done

Old 04-10-2008, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Looks nice! I knew the black paint would refine it up.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

i actually bought a s6 grill and it wont fit my a6 bc of a metal bar across the bottom ... all you have to do for these grills is bore out a couple screws and re-assemble and it will slide right in ... PM me if u want a photo step by step ... just buy the rs6 or s6 grill from teh dealer and it should take about 2 hours to get it to fit

Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

I like the look of the S6 and RS6 grille, but my car is 2001 pre-facelift. I am not sure if they will fit. I'm pretty sure that with a little thought I can fab the upper out of the same expanded aluminum, using the stock mounting tabs. Just time and patience, all that is required. If you know for sure that the S6 grille will go on pre-facelift, i'll give it a try.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 AM
2nd Gear

i have it sitting in my room now ... whats your email and ill send u my pic instructions

Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

bump for guy on audizine

Old 04-19-2008, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

I thought I would share my freshly fabricated upper and lower grills.
I made these out of necessity as I am a cheap bastard, but I do like to fabricate.
I go for the clean look.
BENG

Quick Reply: C5 A6 lower front grille mod