Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam adjuster gaskets and half moon seals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:35 AM
1st Gear
Question cam adjuster gaskets and half moon seals?

working on a 2002 a6 3.0 fwd

after timing belt was done know i have developed a bad oil leak, timing belt cover off : leak appears to be coming from passenger side cams
cams seals were replaced when i did timing belt also had vacum leak which hoses were replaced and now getting crankcase brether assembly was in pretty bad shape
ketp reading that cam adjuster seals and half moon seals should also be replaced which i didnt .
would any body know if this type of car has these parts and where these parts are located
thanks J.V.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:35 PM
3rd Gear

If I understood you correctly, you replaced the cam seals with the timing belt job, now you have an oil leak, so you want to know if you missed a few seals?

I believe there are 8 seals for the cams....I can't remember.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

yea Jeffla
i just dont know where these other seals are . or how to check for them !

Old 10-18-2009, 10:25 PM
2nd Gear

Do you have a 3.0 AVK??? that model does not have chain and tensioner.

If you don't have a cam chain then you have no tensioners or half moon seals!

If your cam pullies are large solid pullies, the ones with the cam cover caps, you do not have the chain and tensioner.

If you have developed an oil leak and did not replace the cam cover caps and used the o-rings sent in the kit. Go to Audi or on line and order 4 Audi cam cover caps. They warp and need to be replaced as a whole. You can get them here; http://www.rmeuropean.com/audi-parts.aspx

Just pull the two belt covers and leave them off. Take a ride and when you stop use a cotton swab to wipe along the bottom of the cam bolt cover and see if you have oil collecting. That's what happened to me.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Jackmup i have the car in service right now taken apart there is more oil on the passenger side . may i should just replace them anyways

i dont need to remove the t-belt again and replace it do i ! i dont need to remove the cams pulleys center bolts righ!

thanks Jackmup

Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 AM
2nd Gear

It would be difficult to replace the half moon seals on a 3.0 AVK considering that it does not have any! I believe the previous 3.0 AHA has a tensioner. also 2.8,2.7,4.2... so that's why you hear about it so much.

Things for you to check.
Valve cover gasket, If they are not new get new ones.
Check the valve cover screws.
Cam Bolt cover caps.
Cam shaft sensor housing gaskets, rear of heads
Cam shaft adjuster housing gaskets, front of heads(where the seals are).

Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jaimea6
working on a 2002 a6 3.0 fwd

after timing belt was done know i have developed a bad oil leak, timing belt cover off : leak appears to be coming from passenger side cams
cams seals were replaced when i did timing belt also had vacum leak which hoses were replaced and now getting crankcase brether assembly was in pretty bad shape
ketp reading that cam adjuster seals and half moon seals should also be replaced which i didnt .
would any body know if this type of car has these parts and where these parts are located
thanks J.V.
In addition to valve cover gaskets, cam chain tensioners, and half moons you should also replace the 2 oil plugs (located on the back side of each head) and the front seals which can only be accessed with the timing belt off.

I'm assuming your 02 has all the seals I just mentioned. My 98 Quattro does. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

It doesn't!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

im going to double check on the cams shafts housing gaskets to make sure they are not leaking im also getting new caps and o rings
do you guys think i can keep this t- belt even though got oil on it ?
or should i replace it with new one. im also getting all new oxygen sensors , fuel filter , sparkplugs , crankcase brether hose assembly . check valves

wondering if is it woth it also replacing the camshaft sensors now that i have it a part

does any body knows if this vehicle has a so called" SUCK PUMP " which im also planning on replacing read that lots of times this pump causes vacum issues.

thanks guys

Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear

Shed $ 50 or however much it costs a t-belt for your model and replace it; the oil will eventually weaken the rubber on the present one and you may end up with bent valves and a big hole in your wallet.

Quick Reply: cam adjuster gaskets and half moon seals?