Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam ajustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 AM
1st Gear
Default cam ajustment

what tool do i need to ajust cam(s) on my 2.8l 98 model? i have used the cam lockbar and the bolt in bottom but timing is still of...

Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear

did you mark the chains and position those correctly?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by oc_audica
did you mark the chains and position those correctly?
i didn't do anything to the chain. i only replaced the tensioner.the timebelt was loose. i used the cam tool and the t.d.c bolt. maybe the problem is old...
but i'd like to fix the problem but i don't know how to..

if the timing is wrong and the cam weel is right,T.D.C bolt is in place, there must be a way to adjust the cam?right?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

To set it right, check the crank mark - don't worry too much about the lock tool because the crank is unlikely to rotate during the setting process. Next make sure the cam pulleys are free on the cams (use a puller if they are not free). Last place the locating plates on the cams, slide on your bar, set the tensioner and tighten the cam bolts.

You might get away with not releasing the cam pulleys, but the cam locking bar will not slide on as easily - it should take almost zero effort to slide the bar in place if everything is set correctly. Releasing the cam pulleys from the taper is the only way you can turn the cams, to answer your question.

With the cam bar sliding on easily and the crank mark aligned, you have perfect timing.

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by loach1
To set it right, check the crank mark - don't worry too much about the lock tool because the crank is unlikely to rotate during the setting process. Next make sure the cam pulleys are free on the cams (use a puller if they are not free). Last place the locating plates on the cams, slide on your bar, set the tensioner and tighten the cam bolts.

You might get away with not releasing the cam pulleys, but the cam locking bar will not slide on as easily - it should take almost zero effort to slide the bar in place if everything is set correctly. Releasing the cam pulleys from the taper is the only way you can turn the cams, to answer your question.

With the cam bar sliding on easily and the crank mark aligned, you have perfect timing.

Good luck!

tnx!!
the problem is that i cant fint the cam locating plates for my 2.8.. i find for many other engines but not for mine.. do you know the part nr? or where i can by it?

tnx again!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

The locating plates are the 1/4" thick aluminum plates with the holes that the cam locking bar go into. These positively lock on the camshafts using a 'D' shape. I don't know of another plate - nothing else is needed.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

what part nr is for the cam locking tool?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
1st Gear
Old 08-28-2008, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by loach1
i have that one.. i thought i needed a tool too lock the cams like the tool for the 3.0 engine.. but after a chat with the audi dealer i now understand how the cams is bolted in front... i did not know that tool did lock the cams...i thought it just hold the cam weels :-)
i x my fingers that i will get it right now!

c",)