Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Campbelt

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Campbelt

Hi forum, could any help on how to determine if campbelt been done on my audi a6. Bought car at 96000 miles & now on 108000. Don't know how to see if campbelt done or not. Thanks

Old 01-01-2017, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear

You do not mention the year or motor, so assuming it is an older Audi it has a timing belt that drives the camshafts. I do not believe there is any reliable way to inspect the belts or tensioners to determine if they have been changed. I would be suspicious of someone selling the vehicle at 96k miles as this is the extreme limit before a timing belt change is needed and it should probably have been done around 75-80k miles. Unless you can obtain service records or information from the previous owner, it might be good insurance to have it done. In my experience, an indie shop doing the full timing belt work is about US$900 for the 2.7T and US$1000-1100 for the 3.0.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

Oh sorry. It's an audi A6 1999. Bought it 96k miles. Never had any probs with it. Had it for almost a yr. Only the flashing red break lights n a steady amber ABS light. Any help

Old 01-02-2017, 10:35 AM
3rd Gear

I think you might have a couple problems. First, a steady brake light generally means an issue with the brake system and the most common is worn front pads. There is a sensor for brake pad width on the front only. You should get this checked. Secondly, the flashing ABS light often means a failed ABS module but it could easily be related to the front brakes since the ABS depends on the braking system to control the car. While you can drive without ABS, you lose the benefit of this safety system. I am not a DIYer, but it was not expensive to have the ABS module removed (you can drive the car without it) and sent to a rebuild company such as ModuleMasters.

It sounds like you are thrilled to have a luxury car, but it may be time to bring it in to a reputable shop for a thorough evaluation. You will need to make some repairs, but once done if you keep up with the maintenance you should have a fairly reliable Like I said earlier, about US$1000 for the timing belt and all related parts, about US$400-500 per axle for brakes and rotors, and the ABS module might be an hour labor to remove/re-install plus whatever MM charges these days. Good luck.