Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant get into computer to read with scanner

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 PM
1st Gear
Default cant get into computer to read with scanner

i just bought a 1998 a6 2.8..my friend who works at audi brought his scanner home so he can read my car to see if any thing is wrong. He cant get into the car computer to read...when u turn the key on all the lights and check engine light comes on like its supposed to but when his scanner is hooked up, the car will not let him in to read...he unplugged the abs module but same thing...this means i cant get the car inspected either...anyone have any ideas????

Old 10-01-2011, 12:52 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

does the scanner even recognize that it is connected to the car?

check for bent, broken, missing pins in the port. check to make sure the wires to the port are connected. check fuses and relays

I've heard that this happens sometimes when an aftermarket stereo is installed. something about "blocking" the reader from accessing all the modules

good luck

Old 10-01-2011, 01:08 PM
1st Gear
Default scanner cant read car computer

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
does the scanner even recognize that it is connected to the car?

check for bent, broken, missing pins in the port. check to make sure the wires to the port are connected. check fuses and relays

I've heard that this happens sometimes when an aftermarket stereo is installed. something about "blocking" the reader from accessing all the modules

good luck
i checked port...good no aftermarket radio....wires are connected to port, fuses are good.....i dont think there are any relays...... any other sugestions

Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vito914
i checked port...good no aftermarket radio....wires are connected to port, fuses are good.....i dont think there are any relays...... any other sugestions
is your ABS light on?

Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
is your ABS light on?
no, no abs light and we unplugged the abs module just incase, still cant get in...we also notice that the last wannabe mechanic who did the timing belt was off by 2 teeth, so were guessing the check engine light came on and he didnt want to take everything off again to fix the belt so maybe he did something so noone can read the computer...just a thought

Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vito914
no, no abs light and we unplugged the abs module just incase, still cant get in...we also notice that the last wannabe mechanic who did the timing belt was off by 2 teeth, so were guessing the check engine light came on and he didnt want to take everything off again to fix the belt so maybe he did something so noone can read the computer...just a thought
did u take it back to him to get the teeth aligned? there should be no error in the timing belt not even by a teeth. also did u pull out the fuse and see if it was blown or just looked to see if it was there? i think its fuse number 12. if the fuse is good then i would suspect he had something to do with it.
mine had the same prob and i pulled out the abs connector from the module and taped the connectors and it worked.