Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Hick-Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Car Hick-Up

1999 A6 AHA motor 2.8l

So my car recently started doing this thing were it will like Hick-up for a second. Some times are worse than others. The worst it gets is if you were to turn the key off while driving and then turn it right back on. Does it in like a half second. I have been doing alot of reading and I cant seam to find much of a similar issue.
It is bring up the following codes
P1338
P1392
P1522
P1519

They are all camshaft sensor codes, Not like both banks would do it at the same time.
Also it happens randomly, cruzing, accelerating, whenever.

My thought is it might be the crank position sensor

Any help would be great
Thanks!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:40 AM
3rd Gear

Ignition Switch?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I would need to look into that one more, any thoughts why the ignition switch?
You dont happen to have Vag-Com by chance do you? 6 pack if youll clear an airbag code?

Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 AM
3rd Gear

I do have a generic ebay cable with Vag-com. Never tried to enter the airbag module before as it warns not to. But it's your car if you want me to try. I assume you live in the Minneapolis area?

I suggested the ignition switch because you said it was like the key was turned off for a second. My thoughts were maybe the ignition switch is going bad and shutting the engine on and off when hitting a bump or something. But I think it's unlikely, but just a guess.

But now having read your post a second time, I realize I must not have read it thoroughly the 1st time. If your crank position senor is going bad, it will give the symptoms you are describing. If you don't replace it sooner or later, it will cease to function, and your car will not run/start. Happened to me a long time ago, came out of Target to find our car would not start. Ran fine for years before that day with no symptoms or CELs.

Now with that said, since all your codes are cam shaft sensor codes, I would start there 1st.

Do you have a Bentley Manual? If so there is a page somewhere that tells you how to test the resistance with a volt meter across the crank position sensor. That will help determine it the crank position sensor it fine. Again, I think you should start with the cam shaft sensor(s) 1st.

Last edited by Jeffla; 02-12-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM
1st Gear
Default same codes

Just wondering if you found the solution to the cam codes:

P1338 - Camshaft Pos.Sensor,Bank1 Open Circ./Short to B+
P1392 - Camshaft Pos.Sensor,Bank2 Open Circ./Short to B+
P1519 - Intake Camshaft Contr.,Bank1 Malfunction
P1522 - Intake Camshaft Contr.,Bank2 Malfunction

I am throwing the exact same codes as you and the car won't start

I would greatly appreciate any insight you have to this problem. Thanks