Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car smells after use

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Car smells after use

Every time I drive my car and park it in the garage, there is a medium strength smell similar to a smoke/rubber/oil mix. Its difficult to describe. Its not sweet like coolant though.

The head gaskets on the engine were recently replaced, and the mechanic took a look at it again (i took it back after it was repaired) but swears the car is in perfect condition (this was the head guy at a reputable dealership).

So whats up with the smell. Do other A6 owners cars smell after use?

Its a 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro

Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like there's a leak, prolly on the rear cam seals/phasers dripping oil onto the exhaust. Have them look again.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Sounds like there's a leak, prolly on the rear cam seals/phasers dripping oil onto the exhaust. Have them look again.
Interesting - where/how can I verify this? Also, is this a serious concern that could cause a breakdown, or just a slow leak that will cause the oil to evvvveentually leak out and of course, the funky smell.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 PM

I had a nasty leak and a burning smell as well. originally friends would tell me its not oil but i swore to it that it was.

I had the cam adjuster seals and valve cover gasekts replaced, and the smell diminished. Well after a week, its now back. only its slightly different in smell. Its now 100% a burning rubber smell, and i was forced to eat my words when it came to my friends telling me i told you so.

If you notice smoke, pop the hood asap, and see where it is coming from. On mine, its coming from directly behind the engine block between it and the firewall. the smoke is white in color. I was told its probably a rubber line going to the secondary air pump, but havent had the chance to get back there and look!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by twinturbosixer
I had a nasty leak and a burning smell as well. originally friends would tell me its not oil but i swore to it that it was.

I had the cam adjuster seals and valve cover gasekts replaced, and the smell diminished. Well after a week, its now back. only its slightly different in smell. Its now 100% a burning rubber smell, and i was forced to eat my words when it came to my friends telling me i told you so.

If you notice smoke, pop the hood asap, and see where it is coming from. On mine, its coming from directly behind the engine block between it and the firewall. the smoke is white in color. I was told its probably a rubber line going to the secondary air pump, but havent had the chance to get back there and look!
Actually, its funny you should mention the smoke. That happened to me last week. I was driving up a hill, noticed white smoke and pulled over immediately. It was directly behind the engine block and the firewall, and seemed slightly to the left of center. I called my mechanic, who advised me to wait 10 minutes and try and limp it home. It didn’t smoke on the way home. He inspected it, and could find nothing wrong.

How big of a problem is this? How can I fix it? I was supposed to go on a weekend trip later this evening ( 3 hours away).

Old 06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
3rd Gear

My A6 smells, too. I discovered two days ago that my 17-year old daughter left a pint of chocolate milk under the passenger for two weeks, and the car has been parked in my garage with the windows up. Yikes. Next step....Odor-Ban.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Is it possible to see the rubber line thats causing the problem from above the endine block (popping the hood)? Do I need to be underneath?? Whats it look like?

Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 PM

not funny. but at the same time... it is. all seriousness. anyone have a clue as to the cause of this?

Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 PM

I havent had a chance to look into the problem. that was my weekend project. im assuming if you take off the air intake and the box, you should be able to see back in there.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

I havent had a chance to look into the problem. that was my weekend project. im assuming if you take off the air intake and the box, you should be able to see back in there.
What exactly am I looking for in there. Whats this thing look like? Could this cause any major failure if not immediately addressed?

Quick Reply: Car smells after use