Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car smoking from exhaust...!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Car smoking from exhaust...!!!!

normally yes you can just start driving again ... there are alot of different sugguestions in this thread ... maybe you should take it to a mechanic you trust or even a dealer if you have the $$$ because i'm sure they can take some stuff apart or at least get a closer look at the turbos and then give a better diagnosis

good luck let us know

Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear

if the turbo seals are bad like wolfsa62.8q said then the oil coming out fo the exhaust would def make sense ... on a second throught ... if you feel like takin stuff apart to get to the turbos then go for the seals ... not an expensive seal replacement if you can DIY

Old 01-21-2008, 04:13 PM

2001 A6 2.7T

Just had same problem over the weekend, -8 deg weather, low oil pressure light came on, checked oil, none left, all oil gone! Did not dirve any further. Towed to dealer. $7800 plus to start. Top end reseal and turbo replacement $5775, recomended $1300 ohter repairs since engine will be torn apart. Nothing but issues since we purchased the 300 Point Inspected Gem.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear

well id take this as a tip to do a turbo upgrade ... maybe it was a sign from god ... i am really sorry to hear about all of your problems ... cold is awesome for turbos but maybe -8 degrees is a bit too cold

Old 01-21-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

Start your car. Take off the oil cap, and put your hand over it. If air is coming out, then u have blow by. This means your rings are probably shot, which could cause oil to shoot out exhaust.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: 2.7A6MadAudi

2001 A6 2.7T

Just had same problem over the weekend, -8 deg weather, low oil pressure light came on, checked oil, none left, all oil gone! Did not dirve any further. Towed to dealer. $7800 plus to start. Top end reseal and turbo replacement $5775, recomended $1300 ohter repairs since engine will be torn apart. Nothing but issues since we purchased the 300 Point Inspected Gem.
Ouch! Thats a crappy first post.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Wow, cold must kill these seals. I have the same problem. Went out and started the car this morning and low and behold white/bluish smoke that has that ever so distinctive stench of burning oil. After seeing this post I felt lucky, so I went down to the dealer and got the pump and PCV valve and still had smoke. Pulled the intercooler lines and about 1/3rd to 1/2 a quart of oil came pouring out of each side. I let it drain and took it for a quick round the block, (still feeling lucky) and crystal clear for a few minutes, then WHAM I felt like James Bond with that cool smoke screen. I pulled it back on the lift and there was another bit of oil in the cooler lines (I was not smart enough to capture it to measure but based on the amount in my hair I would say it was ¼ cup.)

Here's my question, is it possible that this is left over and not new? The reason for this thought is I changed the oil about a week ago and the oil was down about 2 quarts and was nasty, the new oil on the dipstick is still pretty clean and is right at half way in between the add a quart and the full, and this has not changed since changing the oil. The oil in the cooler lines was the nasty black stuff, not the newer stuff.

BTW this is a 2000 a6 2.7 with the tip and 101,000 miles on it.

Any way to 100% confirm that this is the turbos?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

Well i managed to get the car towed to a dealer now im just waiting on the word on whats wrong...so if it is the turbos there is no wayfor me to pay the $7k..so how hard would it to be to upgrade the turbos or even replace the turbos for that matter?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:39 PM

I have a 2001 A6 2.7T and have had the smoking problem twice. Last year it was -15F and yesterday it was -5F when the problem reoccured. I thought I was looking at a major repair bill the first time as I thought I had blown something out. Turns out that the 2.7 engine has a quirk, as my garage tech calls it. The problem can be traced to a frozen suction pump (jet valve). Moisture in the valve freezes and causes excessive pressure in the crank case. The excess pressure causes oil to pass the piston rings and burn in the exhaust. It also forces oil up through the turbos. The valve has to be cleaned out or replaced andthe intercoolers need to be drained of the forced in oil. Turns out that Audi recently came out with a vented engine oil cap that may help reduce the problem.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 PM

I had a 2001 A6 2.7T which had the smoking problem last year when it reached -14F and cost me $4000+ to repair. So when it repeated the same symptoms on Jan 21st this year after another sub zero night I knew I had to get rid of the A6. I waited for the temperature to rise to +20F when the smoking stopped and traded it in, but not for another Audi!!!

Let me know when the 2001 A6 owners class action law suit is under way...

Quick Reply: Car smoking from exhaust...!!!!