Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't stop...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 02:38 AM
Default car won't stop...

my wife was driving her a6 wagon with the cruise control set at 75. as she tried to turn it off, the car would not stop running at cruising speed. she had to break the car to the side of the road (engine still revving), slam the car into park, and turn the car off. all four brakes were pretty well smoked, and when the audi service tech turned the car back on at the dealer, it reved right back up to the cruising speed.

this car is very dangerous. we are not comfortable with it any longer. it is worth nothing because we won't drive it and won't sell it to anyone because of the liability. audi is still trying to investigate the problem. perhaps the throttle cable stuck on something inside the casing...they don't know for sure.

has anyone had or heard of similar problems?

thanks for listening.

Jon

Old 06-02-2004, 02:19 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: car won't stop...

Sorry to hear about that. At least your wife was not hurt. Are there any recalls that might be applicable? I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that you have to have some sort of recourse on this. Either that or maybe your insurance would be able to help. I just realized how ridiculous that insurance company sounded. Have you inquired about the Lemmon Laws in your area. I agree with you, I wouldn't be comfortable driving it, but it's a mechanincal problem with the car that could result in injury or death. It would seem to me that if the dealer is aware of the problem and tells you to continue to drive it the liability is on them if sasomething esle were to happen. The potential of that kind of liablility makes most dealers and insurance companies take notice. My best advice, get an expert mechanic, a lawyer (friend so you're not out a bunch of money and your insurance agent telling Audi they may not want to insure these vehicles anymore and there will be a subsequent reprt submitted to the state board of insurance regulators. Long short, if you want to get this taken care of, be the very very very very squeeky wheel. Tactfully, but so that they realize full well that you are to be right there pushing the issue until the situation is resolved to YOUR satisfaction. Again sorry about this one. Have tried speaking with Germany? They seem to be able to a lot more than any dealer I have encountered. Good luck on this, and keep us posted.

Old 06-02-2004, 04:00 AM
3rd Gear

Get on the phone with AoA and get a service report started through their agents. This will not sit still if AoA is involved.

Old 11-04-2004, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

I now this is probably overkill or too late at this point but i found this link, thought maybe it would help if you are still waiting for answers.

Recalls

Frozen throttles 10/10/04

Audi of America, Inc. today announced that it is voluntarily recalling 28,363 A6s in the U.S. from model years 1998 and 1999.
All 1998-1999 model year Audi A6 vehicles equipped with a 2.8-liter V-6 five-valve engine and automatic transmission that are
registered in cold weather states are included. Audi has determined that, in rare cases while driving at a steady rate of speed for a
considerable period of time and during extremely low ambient temperatures (below +5 degrees F), the throttle on affected vehicles may
not return to idle position due to ice accumulating in the throttle body. In this instance the driver can apply additional brake force or take
other actions (such as shifting into Neutral, turning off the ignition, etc.) to positively stop the vehicle. In the absence of such action,
the vehicle may maintain speed when the driver expects the vehicle to slow.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:48 AM
6th Gear

wow good find kenestle.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:06 PM

I just recieved the recall papers on that last night the frozen throttlle body's waiting for on in the shop right now the parts are not avaliable as of yet

Old 01-27-2005, 10:52 PM

It happened to me the other day after a snow storm. I am taking it in next week, one suggestion or solution until you get it fixed, step on the accelerator and it may release the throttle, that's what I did. I found the recall notice when I got home, should have paid more attention to the recall when it arrived in the mail.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

I heard this happening to a woman also. She said she had to turn the car off while it was moving to stop it. The scarey thing is, is when the service people started the car back up, the car still thought it was on 65MPH cruise control and started accelerating.