Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Catalytic converter replacement

One of my cats needs to be replaced but they’re like $700 - $800 each. I see a lot of “universal” ones listed on the web. Does anyone have any experience with these (like Magnaflow)? If universal isn’t the way to go, any suggestion where I could get one a bit less expensive, any brands that are recommended?

Thanks

Old 05-23-2009, 01:26 PM
3rd Gear

I don;t know what year model you have, but for a 1995 FWD Arizona Autohausz sells them for $ 395.
$ 700-800 sounds like a double price. What place you're looking at?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:20 PM

I'm looking at also getting some aftermarket cats, and think I may go with VAST Performance piggy cats. If their claims are accurate it looks to be the way to go. They are rebuilt, but if they have a warranty who cares, right. $695, but you get $300 back for sending in your spent cats, and they claim to be efficient enough to pass Audi's tight tolerances (Efficiency code 0431, etc...).

Old 05-24-2009, 03:26 AM
4th Gear

The 'universal' cats are fine... thay are the same damn thing but need to be adapted... thats all. This charging $300-700 for a peace of ceramic and stamped steel is bullshit.

By a universal and save the cash.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:29 AM
4th Gear

They are rebuilt, but if they have a warranty who cares, right. $695, but you get $300 back
Thats bs too... how do you 'rebuild' ceramic and platinum?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

Has anyone actually replaced their cat with one of these? I don't really want to buy and install one and then have it not work right. I don't know a lot about cats, but is one more efficient than another or any sort of variance which might cause a problem?

Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 PM
4th Gear

These are whats inside the cats:

This is whats inside of every cat. Some cheaper ones have one, better ones have two. It doesnt matter if its OEM or aftermarket, they are the same inside:

The difference in OEM vs Aftermarket is the pipes going in and out. Most 'universal' ones have just a straight pipe you have to adapt. OEM fit right up. Magnaflow has 'direct fit' cats with the correct in/out pipes.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:46 PM
1st Gear
Default 96 audi a6

bought two oem cats for my 96 a6 quattro, one Bosal and one Mac......they don't look like they are compatible.....any thoughts on installing cats from two different manufacturers?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Looking to replace my cats as well. Dealer wants waay too much for replacement. Even with the discounts my buddy in the parts dept can offer...the cats each costs $300-$350. I am soo ready for an aftermarket brand. Did the research and I am leaning more towards Magnaflow. I am gonna retire Audrey in a year anyways and keep her around for those snow storms that NY is infamous for (AWD is awesome in snow!) and get either an A3 or another A6. So having pristine cats is not pressing right now.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pokanyc
Looking to replace my cats as well. Dealer wants waay too much for replacement. Even with the discounts my buddy in the parts dept can offer...the cats each costs $300-$350. I am soo ready for an aftermarket brand. Did the research and I am leaning more towards Magnaflow. I am gonna retire Audrey in a year anyways and keep her around for those snow storms that NY is infamous for (AWD is awesome in snow!) and get either an A3 or another A6. So having pristine cats is not pressing right now.
Found converters on Ebay +/- $200 oem.......turns out didn't need them.......cleaned EGR out.....all good.

On a different note, every time I press the rear defront button, the fuse goes......any thoughts on this one?

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter replacement