Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD's sound fuzzy and scratchy

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 AM
1st Gear
Default CD's sound fuzzy and scratchy

Just purchased my 2005 A6 3.2l and I noticed that when listening to CD's with the cd changer the CD's sound very fuzzy and scratchy, the radio sounds awesome. I have read somewhere that those year A6 had an issue with the fiber optic from the cd changer now my question is where do I find a cd changer i know if i go to audi i'll get raped and can I just take it out and get it fixed somewhere?? any help would be appreciated thanks

Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Have you try CD cleaner disc? You should a try that first and some compressed air too.
Also disconnecting the fiber optical cable and cleaning it with the compressed air.

It's new:
NEW GENUINE AUDI MP3 CD CHANGER WECHSLER 2008 & UP A4 A5 A6 A8 Q5 4E0910110H | eBay

This one you'll have to ask the seller questions.
AUDI A4 A5 A6 A8 6 CD CHANGER WECHSLER DISC PLAYER PART # 4E0910110L | eBay

Hope this helps.

Before I forget try rebooting the MMI.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

I won't say that disconnecting and cleaning the F/O cable will not help but which one do you disconnect? The fibers are in a loop around the car which goes to the components in the trunk, the glovebox and the dash. There are probably 10 connections. It sounds like you may be dropping bits in the digital loop, if so get a VAG-COM and scan the system. There is also a MOST loop diagnostic which can be run to pinpoint any problems.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ManyAudis
I won't say that disconnecting and cleaning the F/O cable will not help but which one do you disconnect? The fibers are in a loop around the car which goes to the components in the trunk, the glovebox and the dash. There are probably 10 connections. It sounds like you may be dropping bits in the digital loop, if so get a VAG-COM and scan the system. There is also a MOST loop diagnostic which can be run to pinpoint any problems.
Why would you mess with the F.O. loop in the trunk(trunk F.O. loop around Sat radio and the Nav that runs to the MMI head unit at front of the car)? The CD changer F.O. is connected direct to MMI head unit. Unplug the CD changer(power and F.O.) clean the connections and replug them.
The MMI will be disable once you unplug the CD changer. Without the CD changer the MMI is useless(but with the a SW update and AMI the MMI will work with no need of the CD changer).

So shut down the MMI and unplug the CD changer and clean the connections, replug them.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the help, i'll try this i need to get the cd audi removal tools so once i get those im goin to clean the fiber optic cable and the cd changer with some air and try it. thanks again

Old 05-30-2012, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eazy211187
Why would you mess with the F.O. loop in the trunk(trunk F.O. loop around Sat radio and the Nav that runs to the MMI head unit at front of the car)? The CD changer F.O. is connected direct to MMI head unit. Unplug the CD changer(power and F.O.) clean the connections and replug them.
The MMI will be disable once you unplug the CD changer. Without the CD changer the MMI is useless(but with the a SW update and AMI the MMI will work with no need of the CD changer).

So shut down the MMI and unplug the CD changer and clean the connections, replug them.
The reason is that the signals from the CD travel around the entire car so they go through each connector in the loop before getting to the MMI. Even though the fiber from the loop may go directly to the MMI in one direction it goes completely around the car in the other direction. This is a local network and all nodes are involved in the communication.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ManyAudis
The reason is that the signals from the CD travel around the entire car so they go through each connector in the loop before getting to the MMI. Even though the fiber from the loop may go directly to the MMI in one direction it goes completely around the car in the other direction. This is a local network and all nodes are involved in the communication.
The issue is the CD changer not the radio or the other components.
I noticed that when listening to CD's with the cd changer the CD's sound very fuzzy and scratchy, the radio sounds awesome
So if there's a bigger issue like the Nav, Sat radio and radio cutting off then yes you'll have to check all the connections even change out the MMI head unit. But what Fociracr is talking about is only isolated to the CD changer.
ManyAudis by any chance do you have MMI diagram layout? This could help out others with MMI issue.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

You asked for it! Here is a link to a very detailed document about the data buses in the C chassis. The MOST bus is the one that handles the CD changer and a lot of other stuff.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14739987/SSP...%20Bus%201.pdf

Here is one other link that may also be helpful.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14739987/Aud...%20in%20C6.png

Old 06-01-2012, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

Perfect!!!