Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

centre lcd dislay faded

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:38 AM
1st Gear
Default centre lcd dislay faded

I know this is a somwhat old issue but thought it was worth revisiting .. I have been doing a little research and found some replacement LCD screens on ebay ... then i searched youutube and found a couple of video of guys soldering stuff .. have not been able to find a concise go / no go statement or tutorial .. I am willing to do this .. does anyone know if the EBAY LCDs work ( about 60-100 dollars ) and if it can be done ? I am pretty sure I can do it if someone can confirm the fix works.

Any input ?

thanks

Old 07-21-2010, 02:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Check out Module Masters?

You might want to check out www.modulemaster.com - they rebuild them. I used them for my 2000 A6 4.2 ABS ECU rebuild.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

I also recommend modulemaster if you don't have much soldering experience, it requires very fine work on circuit boards with a delicate ribbon wire. I do believe that audidiy.com does have a DIY if your feeling brave. I have heard that there are 2 kinds of replacement LCD screens out there, cheap chinese ones that work MOST of the time but the color doesn't match and may have some glitches down the road. The others are the genuine replacements from a company in I think sweden, these are the exact screen that is OEM.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear

Oh, I just also thought that I should put it out there that the screen isn't the issue. The problem is the connection between the ribbon cable and the IC board.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by stpaulman
You might want to check out www.modulemaster.com - they rebuild them. I used them for my 2000 A6 4.2 ABS ECU rebuild.
Good to see another Minnesotan here! (yeah i'm sure there are many), I also recommend module master for the LCD repair as I have gotten mine fixed through them. They still seem to be on backorder with their screens - so I would call them. Another place to get it done is http://www.dnaspeedometers.com/

Originally Posted by jhuffman
Oh, I just also thought that I should put it out there that the screen isn't the issue. The problem is the connection between the ribbon cable and the IC board.
This is usually not true. It is most often the dotmatrix chip multiplexer located on the ribbon itself going bad; which means that most of the time you're going to have to get a whole new LCD, not just resolder stuff.

Last edited by nm3210; 07-21-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

My car has the disply fading also, but only on hot days. In the morning when it's cool, everything is bright and crisp, when the interior gets hot, the edges of the display fade out. By the way, I have used BBA Reman for repairs like this.
http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx

Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 AM
1st Gear
Old 07-24-2010, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

Yes the typical failure rate is the faded around the edges while hot . I have been soldering for over 20 years so I don't think it wil be much of an issue .. just wanted to know if the ebay lcds would work ..

Old 07-24-2010, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

Can anyone in ny can do this job for me,I use my everyday for work and can't sent my cluster out to get it repaired

Old 08-13-2010, 05:11 AM

I also had this problem and dev.vdorepair.com did an excellent job and it was fast I have referred friends there and have build a good relationship up with vdorepair. Just use me denver as a referral and they will take good care of you

Quick Reply: centre lcd dislay faded