Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chip & intake 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Chip & intake 2.7T

Hows everyone doing,

I'm new to this forum, its a great place to find out detailed info on many different aspects of Audi's. So I wanted to see if you guys could give me some feed back on what chips and different intakes work best with my 2001 2.7T. I recently had the timing belt strip some teeth on me and it messed up the valves. Audi told me it had no compression (don't think they checked) so instead of replacing the heads, I bought an engine with less mileage and my father and I installed it. We had to swap everything, turbo's, alternator, intake, starter, power steering etc. Installed Entire timing belt kit, new secondary water pump, spark plugs, some new hoses and any necessary small parts.
Its now running great, just need to put a new cooling fan clutch in cause this one is making the fan stay on 24-7. I sound like a damn truck! I put some new diverter valves in from evolution motor sports, and now I was thinking of doing the APR chip upgrade. My only concern was that the APR chip gives the engine 68 more hp and 124 pounds of torque. Stock is 250hp/258lb-ft, apr brings it to 318 hp/382lb-ft. I know the chip is designed to operate within the turbochargers' efficiency range, but does anyone think thats too much power for the turbos and engine?
I ask that because some of the other chips don't give as much power.

Also my Audi, Porsche, VW performance dealer told me that this new evolution v-flow intake is really good, it give a little more hp that others?
If anybody did some mods to their 2.7T, if you could share on what chip, intake, and other mods you did and how its running that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2009, 02:02 PM
3rd Gear

As noted in my signature, I have GIAC chip + new DV and TBB. The GIAC also puts out +68 hp over stock. It's been running flawlessly for almost 60k miles, now at 137k. Only problem I had was my clutch failed about 10k after I chipped. I attribute this to the original owner doing some towing, my clutch foot being different, and one night I opened it up to 150mph and it was surging at that speed -- probably the clutch slipping or being damaged. Put in a stage2 clutch and no problems since.

Do a search of this forum on "chip" and you'll find lots of threads and biases for APR, GIAC, and others. I can't address your question about intakes, but common recommendation is to replace catbacks for better exhaust flow and to run turbos cooler. I figure on doing that when they fail as part of an upgrade to K04s. Hopefully far in the future since that's a $5k investment for everything.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:43 PM
2nd Gear

I have tried APR, AWE/GIAC and currently Vast performance. The only company I would really say don't go too would be APR. Unless you are looking for safe in the box tuning. I wouldn't invest in an intake. I really didn't notice anything with the V-flow intake on stage 2/3-. It sounds nice but no real power adder. You would be best off using the stock air box.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

Thx guys for the input.
Today I found out about a Audi Shop just about 20 minutes from my house who works on nothing but s4's, a6's, and a4's. He had like 15 s4's at the shop, one with 500hp and the other with 700hp....crazy.
I was orginally gonna get the APR chip but he said its not too aggresive and is 600 bucks. He'll do their own chip upgrade it for 350 which gives 70hp/70lb-ft and raises the psi of turbos up to 18. I might tell them to raise it to like 15 or so, I don't want to ruin them. What do you guys think?? He said to wait on the intake till later, thats if I should really do it. Told me to do the down pipes and intercooler. I was reffered to him by some friends of mine that own a autobody shop. He told me he could gut the precats for $500, and install the intercooler that goes in the bumper (single) excuse me i'm new to the terminology for $500 pretty cheap. Im not gonna go for the 1400 dollar intercooler unless I upgrade to K04's possibly in the future.
Anyway the guy is pretty legit, i'm probably gonna have to do an upgraded rs4 clutch or something like that too cause this one might go.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 AM
2nd Gear

18 psi is going to blow your Ko3's faster than anything. That is really high psi for these stock turbos that go out only running 5-8 psi. I understand it happens but it happens really fast when you start running this much PSI. You will have troubles cooling the car unless you get he intercooler and a few other supporting mods. It sounds like they are trying to get you too jump all the way to stage 2/stage 2+.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

APR is good, great driveability, less aggressive than GIAC but very powerful nonetheless and lots of TQ. VAST is great!
Do the chip, APR or VAST. Turbos will be fine but of course they may decrease the life of your Turbos long term... but they'll go one day. Many have blow them being stock while others have 120-200k miles. You never know!
Do DVs, New TBB, DPs and custom catback.

Save your $ and skip the air intake. mostly worthless.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Well im definitely gonna do the down pipes and intercooler. I just installed some diverter valves and the tbb is still fine, will need to change it soon. Gonna throw in an apr snub mount when the intercooler is done, as far as the chip goes I wanted to do apr I like the 124 lb-ft tq. I'm gonna talk to those guys and see if they could give some more tq and do the turbos at around 12-13 psi--think that's was APR's is right?? I really dont want the turbos to go that fast obviously, that would really suck, just spent enough putting this engine in. I did check the turbines though and they had no play at all just moved like a millimeter or so (ya know what their suppose to) no in and out play, nothing, so that was a relief.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Did you guys ever hear of Meth Injection if so and what do you think?

Old 04-16-2009, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear

I don't know if meth adds stress onto the turbos but I wouldn't worry about that till you get the power out of your car on 93 octane. It sounds like you want to mod it safe around the turbos, but get a good amount of horsepower. That is a combo that just doesn't work out... I found out the hard way. I ran my turbos for 20k miles on stage 1/2 and blew them. I would maybe play it safe and get a turbo timer if you are going for power and want to play it safe. You might want to look into supporting mods Vs. more power mods.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:38 AM

wammy 18 how long have you been stage 3 with the tip.. And what did you do to tip to make it last?

Quick Reply: Chip & intake 2.7T