Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To chip or not to chip. 01 A6 2.7T auto/tip transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM
1st Gear
Default To chip or not to chip. 01 A6 2.7T auto/tip transmission

Ok i have been wanting to chip my car for a long time now but never did. My audi tech told me i should not chip my car and only for one reason and that is because of my tranny. I guess the trannys they used in these cars are the trannys thats came from the a4 back in 92. And that they are pretty much maxed out at the stock hp and torque. so my question is, has anyone chipped their 2.7t with an auto transmission? and if so how is the tranny holding up? All opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 AM
RGT
1st Gear

I drive my car pretty hard, a couple of track days, Autobahn....and I shied away from chipping due concerns about age and mileage of car as well as the automatic transmission. Though I like the idea of more power when you really push this car the engine in stock form can quickly exceed the performance of the cars handling and brakes.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

Yeah i get you on the age and mileage, i currently have 120k on my girl. The engine is in great condition every major repair or scheduled maintenance you could think of has been done. Timing belt, water pump, rollers, camshaft seal, valve cover gaskets, fan clutch, rack and pinion ect. As far as the suspension goes i have all s6 control arms front and back tie rods ect. Stock springs and shocks tho. Breaks, i have ecs tuning performance break lines, ecs tuning slotted and cross drilled routers on all four as well as hawk performance pads. Tires, lets just say i spent about a grand on some Pirellis. I have pertty much touched everything but the engine. i dont want to put an intake cause the turbo engines run at such a hot temp. Exhaust maybe if i cant chip...as far as exceeding the handling and breaking systems i think im all good on that. Im just worried bout the tranny.....

Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear

That's a hell of a lot of money put into that car.

The inner kid in me tells me to chip it and run higher induction values to get some more bang for your buck as you've spent money on many other performance mods. The adult in me says that there still is a chance in putting excess stress on your internal components with the higher boost associated with chipping it.

I would be more worried about the turbos failing on me or a head gasket failure than the transmission giving out. I've never really heard anyone on these forums have issues with their transmissions giving out on them after a chip, but I've heard of leaking diverter valves, head gaskets, turbo seals failing, etc.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

Haha it sure is Nebuchad, thats why im a little upset to hear from my audi tech that i shouldnt do any performance upgrades to the engine. im in to deep already hah, if i could i would just sell her and look into getting a b6 or b7 s4 with a 6 speed. but like i said im in way too deep now. i wanted to get the c5 a6 with the 6 speed and i would be all good, but thos are soooo rare to find so i settled for the auto not knowing down the road after i do all the repairs on her i would be stopped there.

About the turbos and such i already have apr r1 diverter valves on my ko3's. i would expect the turbos to fail after the chip somewhat down the road due to the age and much increased psi, but when that did happen i was going to put the ko4's in....head gasket and other seals i would just have to take a chance on it.

Lets say i do chip it tho and my tranny fails down the road then im real screwed. i cant really afford a new transmission, the repair cost would be are half the value of the car....idk maybe ill just put an exhaust on her and call it quits, and start saving for a new audi. I just love that 2.7 engine!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
RGT
1st Gear

I too love this 2.7, I have lowered the car a bit and put in some higher performance struts. Actually I lowered the front of the car, the new rear springs ride at the stock height. I have drilled and slotted front rotors and ceramic pads and except for the high in the back hot rod look I ended up with I am happy with the car and the way it handles and brakes. I was thinking when I was beating it around Spa Francorchamp if I lost the transmission the car would be a write off. But the car has never missed a beat and I can't blame it for wearing out the tires....

Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Nice RGT, you should post up a pic. You could cut the springs like a getto fool haha. sounds like you have a pretty nice set up....i would like to lower mine and put some nice performance adjustable coil overs on, that way i could raise in the winter. Did you notice a difference in handling? Shred thos tires!!!

01 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7T 119K

Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 AM
2nd Gear

I think APR can give you the ability to switch between modes with the modified ECU, which is somewhat similar to how BMW does the "M" mode in their M series models. With that, I would think you could easily extend the life out of it so you're not always driving it like you stole it.

Initially when I first got my BMW M6 I was in love with the "M" mode button, I would like to use it every change I got, then the novelty kind of wore off, and now I only use it every once and a while when I want to have some fun. I think it would be the same if I were to chip my 2.7t - initially it would be fun, but soon it will wear off and I'd only use it here and there.

It's very tempting to send out my ECU this spring/summer and plop it back in and get a decent jump in power for a fairly cheap price. But then I'd want to get larger down pipes, different intercoolers, upgrade the brakes... where does it stop?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:12 AM
RGT
1st Gear

This is just after the springs and struts went in and before I upgraded the brakes. You can see how it squats with a little roll at speed coming up the hill. I love the way the car handles now, it rides stiffer which I like and on it makes the car much more stable/fun through turns at speed. These Eibach springs were supposed to lower between .5-1.5" or something like that, the front springs dropped just around and inch(.75?) which was perfect, the rear is exactly the same as it had been, actually the car had been .25" lower on one side of the rear before replacing the springs, after it sat level at the higher side's height. I had thought about going coil over but it seemed like when I looked that the minimum drop you could adjust for was 1.5" and that was a little more than I wanted, maybe there better options that I just didn't see...it is true you don't have to drive hard enough to break something even with the car chipped and then it would be there when you want it, but I have a motorcycle sucking up more money than I had hoped...

Attached Thumbnails To chip or not to chip. 01 A6 2.7T auto/tip transmission-dsc_0171.jpg   To chip or not to chip. 01 A6 2.7T auto/tip transmission-003%2520%25200064.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 03:14 AM
1st Gear

I had AWE install a GIAC chip in my 04 BEL SLine tip car in 08. Had 15K miles at the time, I had bought it in 07 w/ 11K. Diverter valve, stainless brake tubes.

Just did timing belt/ front end with 68K, new front end, shocks. Never had any problems with the chip, its is always on, always Shell 93. Sucks up the road and from 70-110, like a rocket. Ross Tech & Bentley and a mechanic with integrity.

Stealthy, older sedan, all the infotainment you could want in your hands at 8 & 4, and everyone in the rearview hauling around their car payments.

Quick Reply: To chip or not to chip. 01 A6 2.7T auto/tip transmission