Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TO CHIP or Not TO CHIP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 03:12 AM
1st Gear
Default TO CHIP or Not TO CHIP!!

I just bought a 2001 2.7T (Auto) with 84k miles + Sports Winter package + Xenon Bose etc for 7k is it a good buy??
so should I chip it?
Im not sure if the timing belt was changed.

if not the Chip what other mods should I start with??

Old 11-25-2007, 02:11 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: TO CHIP or Not TO CHIP!!

Sounds like a great buy. I hope you had it checked out by someone who knows Audis. Unless you've got wads of cash laying around, you should focus on the timing belt change first. It's going to set up back about a grand or so. Needs to be done soon. I did mine at 94k, which everyone said was waiting too long.

I chipped my car at 74k and it is still fine at 105k. I did have to replace the clutch and flywheel, but you have the automatic. I also drive it conservatively, when it comes to acceleration. The chip makes the biggest single difference in performance. If you consider GIAC, they also make a chip for the transmission that speeds up the shift points.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:35 PM
2nd Gear

Congrats! Good buy, as above I hope you did a PPI with an Audi pro. at 84k, the beelt and waterpump service may have been done. It should be done b/w 65 and 75k miles in my opinion. Don't want it to go bad on you and it has to be done, so might as well be safe and do it timely.

I say CHIP it! It is the best $500 you'll spend on your Audi well there are others mod like but... 70 hp and +110 Tq!!!! it is amazing, let the guys flash it and in 15-20 minutes you'll ahve a new car! I love APR because it is easier on the Turbos and less aggressive. but GIAC is another great brand out there and is more aggressive, some say a little faster faster.
Also get new DV's and TBB (or APR Bipipe) for reliability and you'll be golden! Many acrs outthere chipped in the 100K miles. Just maintain it and never push it cold, let is cool off after spirited driving.
Good luck!

Old 11-25-2007, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

kool, how can I check the Belts where changed? the engine looks practically brand new
So GIAC or APR for engine and GIAC for Transmission > where can I get it from in VA 20165?

Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear

First, go to your local Audi dealer or any Audi dealer really and get the, to print yuo a service history report. They can do it and it is free. They did for me after I bought my Audi even though I did not buy it from them. That will tell you everything that has been done by an Audi dealer to your car. Also can yuo get the invoices/receipts from the dealer you bought the car from? Can you get to the previsou owner? was it a local car? .. If you can't get ths history. get you indy shop to look at it for you. Am not sure how to tell whether it was done just by lifting the hood. Auditech might.

GIAC and APR are both good,I would go with which ever is supported by your local shop. If you have both locally, then My preference is APR for driveability and ease on Turbos... Just my opinion and also what I read from vairous forum members.

I would skip the GIAC Tip chip as i heard it was not worth the $ unless you can get it cheap. Just do the free VAG recode. If $ is not aproblem and yuo want the chip, get a spare used ECU and put the TIP chip on it to save your stock one. just in case

Old 11-26-2007, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

So...an APR flash alone will bring 70 and 110? Is it worth it without any other mods? Im at 80K and considering taking it to the APR guys in town. Since I have an auto is there a tranny flash as well that can be done? what other mod should I consider?

Old 11-27-2007, 07:50 AM

Stock S4 owner here. I had a chance to ride in a GIAC chipped A6 2.7T(tip)with Exhaust, Intake and DVs. OMG! It was SO much fun! You will serious love your car that much more ifyou get the chip.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jasmix

kool, how can I check the Belts where changed? the engine looks practically brand new
So GIAC or APR for engine and GIAC for Transmission > where can I get it from in VA 20165?

If you are in the Springfield area, New German Performance is there. We are an APR distributor.

OOOO

Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: COJAM

So...an APR flash alone will bring 70 and 110? Is it worth it without any other mods? Im at 80K and considering taking it to the APR guys in town. Since I have an auto is there a tranny flash as well that can be done? what other mod should I consider?
SURE! APR 93 octane will get you 318hp and 380lbs of TQ. 91 octane is about 300hp I think....not sure. NO APR flash for tranny, GIAC makes a chip but pricey for no proven results according to many on Audizine. VAG 32 recodeis free and will get yuo first gear!

The APR chip is absolutely worth it even without other mods. I would strongly conmsider upgrading the DVs (Audi's 710's are fine and cheap) and the TBB though. ANother good mod is athe Piggy pipes, 335 from VAST plus install and yuo'll see more power/torque as well as reduce tmeperature behinf the turbos. Works well with chipped car.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: formulagigi

ORIGINAL: COJAM

SURE! APR 93 octane will get you 318hp and 380lbs of TQ. 91 octane is about 300hp I think....not sure. NO APR flash for tranny, GIAC makes a chip but pricey for no proven results according to many on Audizine. VAG 32 recodeis free and will get yuo first gear!

The APR chip is absolutely worth it even without other mods. I would strongly conmsider upgrading the DVs (Audi's 710's are fine and cheap) and the TBB though. ANother good mod is athe Piggy pipes, 335 from VAST plus install and yuo'll see more power/torque as well as reduce tmeperature behinf the turbos. Works well with chipped car.
Are the Stainless steal DV's basically the same as the 710's?, Basically are they just for looks?

What about bigger DV's?

Quick Reply: TO CHIP or Not TO CHIP!!